Cutlass Dead

97cutlass

Mechanic's saying $2500 if it's the crank & bearings.Possibly more if something else was damaged. :( I'm considering a used engine .I'm a bit confused as to what will fit.I've been told only the 3100(cutlass,gp,regal,lumina) without replacing the computer.Someone else says ,3100 or 3400 from malibu or impala will also work.

yeaf, from what I have heard, the 3400 and 3100 have the same computer. So, if that is the case, you could go with either the 3100 or 3400. If it was me, I would spend my money on an L67 and do that swap. However that is just me. 3100 and 3400 should work with your stock computer.

Robby

You can definately get a new (used) engine for cheaper than $2500. I'm looking into one to try and undercut a $1500 repair to my engine. I'm looking into a 3400, but mechanic says 3100 computer won't work. Anybody know for sure? L67 is great, but you will need a new tranny and definately the computer. I doubt that will come in under $2500. Don't forget you'll have to fill it up with premium fuel too.

Actually the L67 and tranny I'm supposed to hear back about is $1500 complete.

I may have to give them another phonecall if I don't hear from them soon.

yeah most of the L67s and tranny combos I have seen go for around $1500.

I have heard the 3100 and 3400 are the same computer, but I dont know. I can see how it would make sense for them to be the same and for them to not be the same. I would just get the 3400 computer when I got the motor, that way, there is no confusion and you know it will work.

Robby

For what its worth i have two 89 cutlass supremes one is a 2.8 the other is a 3.1 i have switched out the ecms to see what would happen. Both cars ran fine but it through off the speedometer big time for some reason so i switched them back. I would say the 3800 and the 3400 are different.

The speed difference you see between 88 and 89 has nothing to do with the engine or computer, but '88s have a different governor gear in the tranny and the MEMCAL is programmed for that particular governor.

Thanks all for the suggestions.Right now though,the supercharged engine & new ttransmission aren't in the cards.Mostly because I need my car back now.So,I'm having another 3100 swapped in.

Any suggestions as to preventative maintenance that I might have done prior to this USED engine being installed?Other than oil,filter & coolant.Things easily done with engine out of the car.

I'm definately having the transmission fluid & filter changed now as I don't want anymore suprises in the near future.