Over head console, w/ maplights. What donors to search.

Crazy K

My reason for an interest in a maplighted overhead console is that I would like to add one of those automatic gentex mirrors to one of my cars, and it has no map lights.

This will be either for my 95 CS or 92 lumina (or both!) basically the headliner is flat at the install location.

any recommendation? I have seen a 89 grand am has a flat unit with two lamps. Preferably one that looks good :roll:

I'm not sure I like that unit.... got pics of it installed? how about the back side? or even installation hole?

And anyone else have any other overhead consoles they might recommend?

(although it is gray, and perfect for the lumina)

I've got a bunch of the the shorter Chrysler ones with map lights (circa 1996), but those also have the screens for the temp, compass, MPG, etc. It would be a slight pain to wire in. They're all charcoal grey in color. I had always planned on putting one into the AWD STE, but the 6000 fell to the way side when I got the GPs.

a 95-'04 S-10 Blazer will have an overhead console with 2 sets of map lights, sunglass holder, garage door opener holder, and a compass/outside temp gauge...they look sweet

How do OHC's mount comapred to the GP ones? Is it a universal type of fitting or what? I've been looking into an expedition console for my car.

How do they mount, actually????

Guest Anonymous

the grand prix one has two tabs it slides into and then i think a plastic screw... its very simple. I'm not sure if all consoles mount in the same fashion or not, and how people add these consoles to their car. Its not like there is much to attach it to up there.

I suppose you'd have to carefully drill holes to line up with where the bolts run through the console. The rest is wiring.

Here's what the one I was talking about actually looks like.