HELP... My Digital Display Is Out Of Wack

cityrider

For the past couple of weeks the digital speedometer display on my 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix 2.8 SE is unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I can be driving and it will show my current speed then it drops down and stays at 0. Of coarse the odometer and trip meter and cruise control are all tied to this as well, none of which work without the speedometer. The display is sporadic. Is there a fix for this problem? Can Someone Help??? :cry:

are the other gauges analog on that cluster? Just curious. Yeah, speed sensor!

Robby

Yes, all other gages are analog except fuel gage which is a series of vertical orange bars. Yes, all other instrumentation is operational.

The VSS is on the tailshaft of the tranny (where the right axle exits tranny). You may have to pull the wheel off to get to it.

The ECM is on the passenger side frame rail in front of the strut tower. It's the black metal box beneath the plastic cover.

I'm not sure how easy/difficult this would be, but if you could possibly get a multimeter connected to the VSS, while driving it has a very low voltage AC output. If no voltage, then your VSS is bad. If voltage is present, your ECM is bad.

It could also be the wiring along the way, but that's far less common.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I did not see this post and I have posted similar issue with the Digital Instrument Cluster intermittent problem.

Your car might have an identical problem like my car but you may want to read about my experience on fixing my Digital Instrument Cluster.

I have a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1L V6 with a Digital Instrument Cluster base.

Ever since I got my car, the Digital Instrument Cluster display comes ON and OFF, flickers and sometimes it does not display at all.

I've had followed different procedures on repairing this Digital Instrument Cluster and finally narrowed down by re-soldering the IC (Integrated Chip)

M AMI 8825MBB

3952-A

C15986

Even though the soldered joints of this IC was not visibly loose, I resoldered them after a lengthy trial and error. My original Digital Instrument Cluster and the used (local junkyard) Digital Instrument Cluster have the same problem.

Other similar cars might be having the same problem with their Digital Instrument Cluster and maybe they have different IC which might exhibit the problem just like my 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 3.1L V6

You can find my journey trying to fix my Digital Instrument Cluster at

http://www.geocities.com/southbeach/sands/2476/automobile/digital_instrument_cluster.htm