F'd up window. NEED HELP ASAP!

digitaloutsider

Guys, my window is seriously fucked. It keeps getting worse and worse to the point where I can barely even roll it down. The video pretty much explains it all, but when you try to operate the window up/down it goes only a short distance before making this godawful grinding noise. You can force it up or down by pushing/pulling respectively, but it won't go all the way down, and it NEVER closes properly. What the fuck is wrong?!

http://www.cutlassinternational.com/window.mov

Woah, definetely the motor. My regulator went, but it would just push the window out of the track and sideways out of the window frame. So yea, sounds like the motor.

It's gotten INFINITELY worse than it was before. Man.. and the motor is SUCH a bitch to change..

Yeah, no shit. If I recall right, its riveted onto the door itself. I had to change my sisters out in her old 96 GP. I definitely did not put rivets back in. Have fun with that!

Window motors are an easy job...once you've had it out of the door at least once or twice. Make sure to take note of how things are positioned in the door before you actually remove the motor. :wink: If it's been replaced before, the bolts could have loosened up and it could be binding(been there, done that...that's the only time mine ever made any type of grinding sound.)

:shock:

Has the motor already been replaced?

I always replace the rivets with bolts when I do the job. I get 1/4 inch bolts that are usually 3/8 long and use nylocking bolts to lock them down. You do have to run a round file or drill bit to enlarge the hole just slightly, since it is a 7mm hole, just shy of 1/4

parts in 1/4 were about $1 for four nuts and bolts, or about $6 for the 7mm metric. do the math! :lol:

That's one of the first things I ever did to my old GP. It's not too hard. Just get a drill bit and drill out the rivets, and find some nuts and bolts with locking washers and put the new one in. Make sure you don't accidentally engage the auto-down, or you'll cut your hand/arm off. I did that a couple of times on my old car. :oops: :bash:

...or you'll cut your hand/arm off. I did that a couple of times on my old car. :oops: :bash:

So you dont have any arms anymore? :lol:

I did it on my toro, and it really wasn't too bad. I chose to rivit it back in though. I think they hold a little better than bolts. Probobly quicker too.

...or you'll cut your hand/arm off. I did that a couple of times on my old car. :oops: :bash:

So you dont have any arms anymore? :lol:

I did it on my toro, and it really wasn't too bad. I chose to rivit it back in though. I think they hold a little better than bolts. Probobly quicker too.

:lol: I have arms. I should have been clearer with that. I chose nuts (without lock washers, because I didn't have the time, and the damn motor would shift when I put the window up and down, eventually falling out again) because I had them in the bottom of my box.

Damn, that sounds familiar. Our drivers side window won't even move anymore, it's gotta be hand assisted, lol.

The motor on ours is only held in w/ one bolt. The previous owner didn't know what the hell he was doing when he worked on the window. Where the hell does the other bolt/rivet go?

Its actually really easy...we had to do it on my dad's cutlass....its harder to get the doorpanel out than it is to change.

FYI...we got the whole regulator assembly with the motor at the junkyard. Hell it was cheap at $12 total investment

Damn, mine was hard to get passed half way down without pushing, and on the way back up, it would come off track. But today it just starting making that grinding noise and it wont move at all. Guess I get to pull the door panel off tomarrow along with changing my brakes that are now grinding. Stupid rain.

That reminds me...Something happened to my Lumina and my brothers Lumina he had some years back...Theres a plastic peice that holds the window to the front slider in the door.I fixed them by using epoxy to hold it back to the glass.The dealer wanted to replace the entire window when my brother went by there first to see what needed to be fixed.

Never came off the glass again.Not the same as your motor problem but something to suggest to others that read this and the window falls down.

:)