95 lumina cooling fan question.

stockgp

for a quick fix until i feel like replacing the temp sensor (i think that's what's wrong), i grounded both the cooling fan relays.

now one fan turns on with the ignition like it's supposed to, but the other is on as soon as i plug the relay back in, with the car off. i looked at the wiring diagrams for it, and it seems that this would be correct, but why?

my 90 grand prix is grounded this way and the fans don't come on until the ignition is turned on. seems odd that gm would change it to be different from other ws.

anyhow, i guess this is more of a rant than a question. i'll just switch the #1 fan to ignition switched like the #2

my cutlass is the exact same way, i have mine hooked to a switch. and i can turn the one on anytime with the key on or off. and the other one will only turn on then the key is on. i have no clue why either.

i always laughed at the tag on my 91 that warns that the fans may start at anytime.

but I wasn't away of the way they are wired on 95 plus cars. I know some other makes have the fans remain on when the engine is very hot and the car is shut off. I suppose it was wired to work like that, or at least "pre-wired" in anticipation of having a fan remain on after the car is shut off for a few minutes.