Car is dead :(

BrianG

Well, last night driving home from JNGTP94s apt, my car dies on me at a light. Cranks, but wont fire up, wont even stutter. It gives me a Code 33 (MAP SENSOR) Finally it fires back up after a couple minutes of cranking and drives the last couple miles home fine. Throws no codes at home. This morning, same thing, cranks, but wont start for me this time.

CODE 33 (1990+) - MAP SENSOR; Check vacuum lines to MAP, check plug connection to MAP, replace MAP.

Background information: My 02 sensor has been dead for about a month now, causing the computer to default to dumping tons of fuel. I have had the car for 6 years and have never touched the cat. It was suggested that my cat is almost completely clogged from the extra fuel going through it for so long causing crazy backpressure, and giving me a false vacuum code to the MAP.

Would the car not even stutter in this case?? Even when it fired back up for me last night, it fired up just great and ran just fine (as fine as it can with a dead O2). I am planning on just cutting the cat completely off when I get home to see if that fixes the problem. Please help if you have any suggestions.

Thanks! Sincerely,

Stranded in Streamwood

Would the car not even stutter in this case?? Even when it fired back up for me last night, it fired up just great and ran just fine (as fine as it can with a dead O2). I am planning on just cutting the cat completely off when I get home to see if that fixes the problem.

It's possible that it wouldn't even turn over, although I'm not entirely knowledgable about this, but I think it's possible. I would check all your vaccuum lines and map sensor, o2 sensor, and cat.

2 things you should do:

1.) Check for fuel. Have someone switch the ignition on (but don't start the car) while you put your head down near the gas tank to listen for the fuel pump to cycle. You should hear a humming noise for a couple of seconds after the key is switched to "on." If there's no noise, then focus on the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay. Changing out your fuel filter won't hurt, either.

2.)Check for spark. Pull one of the spark plug wires from one of the plugs and connect a spark tester. Have someone crank the motor over. If there's no spark, then you can focus on the ICM, Coilpacks, or Crank Sensor. Changing the plugs and wires while you're at it won't hurt, either (now I'm sounding like a broken record :lol: ...)