Intake pipe

19Cutlass94

Ive been looking for a polished piece of pipe for an intake, but I really cant seem to find any, and dont wanna pay through the ass with what some of these places want for em. Ive had people tell me just use pvc pipe or exhaust pipe. I know it sounds like a newbie question, but whered everyone get theirs? and how much did you pay for it (if possible) because I really dont wanna pay alot for something that shouldnt cost everymuch ya know. But Im willing to bet alot are homemade but what type of pipe did you guys use?

My buddy works at a junkyard, he grabbed me a few pieces of rice pipe off a few ricemobiles. They were pretty beat, but I cut one to fit, polished it, wet sanded it, then buffed it, looks nice!

94CutlassXtreme, I could try that, thats one idea, but I can also get the exhaust pipe I need for about 3 bucks, but then Id have to clean it so Id prolly just let the guys in the machine shop bead blast it to make sure its clean. Drill a couple holes and Im game.

I tried that, but it wasnt a mandrel bend, so it looked like shit and was really narrow at the bend. If the exhaust place you're going to does mandrel bending, then you're straight.

When I developed my intake pipe I bought that HONDA one from AutoZone. I then took it to a performance shop, not knowing how much it would end up costing me, they modified it and even welded the extra holes that were not needed. After grinding it and polishing it, it came out looking good. I removed the air tube that delivers fresh air to the cam carriers also. To do this I bought an APC breather filter and mounted it right on the "T" connector just behind the plenum where the air tube hooks up to, thus replacing the ugly air tube completely. As for the air sensor, I drilled a 5/8" DIA hole on the bottom side of the intake tube so you wouldn't be able to see it. It falls out once in while but damn it looks hot.

Check out the link to view the intake.

2218157_5_full.jpg

If your going to bend a mandrel bent exhaust pipe, make sure it's 3" DIA. I wouldn't buy that small short stock piece. Provide them with a longer piece so the mandrel machine can actually hold it in place when bending. Have the Shop provide you with that piece. Just drive to the shop with the stock air box unbolted or removed. That why they can refer to the cars engine as they work giving you the best possible look and fit. Take it home and drill the 5/8" DIA hole at the bottom. Wet sand it and buff it out. Wax it so it won't rust and call it a day. Buy the breather filter, 3" cone filter, make sure you buy clamps, you will need 3- 3" DIA. clamps in total. The breather comes with one. This is easy to do, no reason you can't get this done.

I'm not sure who the real moron is in the group but a 3" PVC pipe is like 3/16" - 1/4" thick. Good luck mounting anything on that. Do they even make a 3" DIA. PVC pipe? if they do it's design for toilet waste water.

Heres an intake builders dream - ha ha

59_1.JPG

yeah I have to order in the K&N filter, since we dont have the one that I want (K&N part # RR-3003) But I still have to clean up the exhaust pipe really good. Im thinking Im gonna coat it with this high heat stuff (I completely forgot the name of it) But just to keep the heat out so that wont affect anything. Then the only thing I need is something to connect it to the TB. Im thinking a piece of 3" heater hose would do the job. If I can find one that big.

Then the only thing I need is something to connect it to the TB.

I just bought a 3" flexable rubber connector that came with 2 pipestraps on each end, it should work fine it's long enough and bendy enough to strap to the TB then have a full 3" pipe on the other side. It's black, autozone has some that are shorter that are blue and red and such.