What would happen if my car is hit...

1990lumina

This is a question I have after seeing another thread today....

If my car is parked on the street, and it is hit in front or from behind (not of the side at all), and I have an automatic tranny in Park, what happens to the transmission?

If the car is hit with enough force to push it forward or back, do the front tires (fwd) skid, or does the tranny have some type of relief built in so damage doesn't happen??

I dunno, that's just a question I had from a different thread, but I didn't want to hijack it

Thanks

If your car is hit, the tires will either slide, or if one is on ice, and the other on pavement, the tires will spin opposite directions. If you jack up the front of the car, and spin one wheel when the car is in park, the other one will spin the opposite direction. But i wouldn't really worry about it, cause if the car is hit hard enough to damage the tranny, the car would absolutly be beond repair :lol:

I had my car towed once by a JERK of a towtruck driver.....

He couldn't get to my front tires to hook it up on a dolly...so he pulled it out of the stall probably 30 ft or so.....my car was in park too.....that pissed me off so much..

:bash: :twisted:

i let him have it too....and a cop was standing right there keeping an eye on me. I was like 16 at the time....

well, the tranny is ok for now....this was 5 yrs ago.

I saw an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" where Larry was driving his fat friend's new 50-something Chevy, and he got bumped from behind at a stoplight. It messed up the transmission a bit and the fat guy was complaining about how they couldn't find parts or something along those lines. Anyhow I dunno if there's any trueth to it (doubt it for OUR cars anyways) but it was still entertaining.

That is very unlikely to happen because the inertia making the tires keep rotating will continue to act on them and they will melt before enough force can be put on the transmission to make the torque converter spin backwards and stall the engine. Think of the big smoke shows in NASCAR when cars spin out at 200 mph. Oh yeah and that park pawl will break before anything happens to the rest of the tranny. It's a 1/4 inch thick plate steel piece that fits into a cog on the final drive. That cog aint breaking.

Okay thanks guys :D.....yeah I realize if something hit it hard enough to move it a fair ways she'd be totalled anyway....but I guess in general it probably works the same