Need rundown on 97 GP GT 2 door::UPDATE

Lee

UPDATE: It has 188,000 miles. Green with gold wheels, radio display is out. Gas guage works part time, some rusting in rear whel wells that he has touched up last summer. Original struts. No engine or tranny problems. Has 4 vehicles needs to get rid of one.

Hoping to see it tomarrow, thinking a $2k offer because of the rust.

I need the goods and bads for a 1997 Grand Prix GT 2 door with the 3.8. Mechanical and electrical problems.

My 91 3.1 has been very good to me. I've heard that 97's were a bit different than following years. What kind of rear suspension is it? Can a saggy ass end be cured easily. They all seem lower in the rear than front to me. (haven't seen it yet)

I'Ve got my Bro-in-law checking it out for me tonight before I drive 70 miles to see it. The ad says:

high miles, newer tires, 10 CD disc changer, $2500.

Thanks,

Lee

My mom has a '97 GP GT 4-door...has about 65-67k on it right now...her car seems to sit level.

It has the rear strut suspension (2nd gen)

Our issues have been:

Water Pump (42k)

Front LCA Bushing (55k)

Other than that, ours drives like a new car...It is fully loaded (has all options but GTP, Dual zone climate, sunroof, rear window radio antenna, CD Player)...

we have not had 1 electrical problem or ABS Problem...although we did have a caliper slide pin that needed grease and tore up the rotor pretty bad...not a big deal though

We bought it new! lol

friend's dad has a 98 SE (3800). I know that the radio (CD player?) is fucked up (display not working), and the one rear door panel is falling off (typical cheap GM interior) other than that it's got lots of miles and been a good car.

From bits & pieces I've read, the first year, '97, had some 1 year only parts. I think the '97 had a different transmission from the '98-up (maybe a 4T60E vs a 4T65E) and something was unique about it. With the car having high miles, make sure the tranny is in good shape as all of them have a history of not lasting. The 2nd gen W's rear suspension has strut assemblies that include coil springs, so there are plenty of options for adjusting ride height with new springs. As for electrical stuff, I think the '97 PCM is unique as is the DIC and the traction control sys is different.

Yes 97's with the 3100 and L36 got the 4T60-E, vs the L67's got the 65-E.

The PCM's have a removable crank sensor variation modual/knock sensor modual vs the integrated ones in 98+.

97's did not have dual zone climate control

97's had a low tire pressure warning system on it. 98+ did not get this.

Those are the big differances that stick out to me.

Rust, $2500?

Today's the day if I buy. I haven't seen it yet. There is supposed to be some rust in the rear fender/wheelwells.

It is about 80+ miles one way to see it. My bro-in-law looked it over but no one was home so just got a visual. Said I'd be interested....but then I trust him as far as I can throw a cow.

hmm did ya buy it yet? you could get something better than that IMO.. i bought my winter beater, 98 GTP 2 dr, needs a front bumper and a door, 133k miles, runs like new only paid 1500 for it, and yeah 99regal you got the differences down good, 97 also had the plum color also! wooot

pretty much decided to keep using the Regal and get a 95 GSXR Suzuki 750 for my summer work commutes. I need to save on gas. I drive 72 miles to work and back and it adds up to a lot O' cash.

Yes 97's with the 3100 and L36 got the 4T60-E, vs the L67's got the 65-E.

The PCM's have a removable crank sensor variation modual/knock sensor modual vs the integrated ones in 98+.

97's did not have dual zone climate control

97's had a low tire pressure warning system on it. 98+ did not get this.

Those are the big differances that stick out to me.

You could order a '97 with dual zone climate...its in the literature

Ours does have the low tire pressure warning system and has the 4t60-e...which i believe that our L36/4t60-e combo is much stronger running than the newer ones with the 4t65-e

No durability issues as of yet either

pretty much decided to keep using the Regal and get a 95 GSXR Suzuki 750 for my summer work commutes. I need to save on gas. I drive 72 miles to work and back and it adds up to a lot O' cash.

that might not be a bad idea....I get urges all the time to change vehicles and a lot of the times it is very tough not to do it, but sometimes the best thing to do is stay with what you've got.....keep that regal looking/running good