Coolant line disconnect - HELP!

mihela816

The coolant line disconnect fitting on my roommates car has been leaking coolant lately to the point where he has to put coolant in every time he goes to work, which is about a five minute drive. I finally found the last leak in the system. The heater hose quick connect has cracked, so I tried to remove it without breaking it, no such luck. So now I have the tool designed to remove the fitting if (when) it breaks, and it simply says "drive the tool into the fitting". Has anyone done this repair, who can give me some tips? There is very little room to work with in this area, and all the tool seems to do is strip out the inside of the fitting.

As i understand what you are talking about it is the metal fitting that connects the Lower intake colltant passage (below the theromostat) to the heater core.

The fitting had broken off and left part of the thread in the intake, correct?

On my 91, I broke it, and i used a drill and a loose hacksaw blade to 'eat out' the bottom of the 'ring' and then used a screw driver the force the ring to come out...

The replacement part it availibnle at advance and autozone for maybe $12

p.s. it would be a good time to chage the distributor drive gear gasket while you are in the area.

That's a good idea. I just guess I'll have to be careful not to damage the threads. Fortunately the o-ring was done this summer, so this is the only thing needs done.

I actually scratched my threads to hell! lol

make sure the new fitting is magnetic (ie stainless steel) Twist it is and out to correct any thread damage. And use liquid teflon.

I have the new fitting. It is stainless, and looks to be a much better design. Which brings me to the question: what was GM thinking? Pot metal? C'mon! That fitting is subjected to corrosion, heat, and vibration!