Bonnie/ GP shifter boot.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking to do a shifter boot swap... I would like one from the 92-98 Bonneville as seen in this pic:

566334_43_full.jpg

I would like to lose that plastic slider on the cosole where my shifter is and replace it with the leather boot. I do not want the GP one from the manual becuase it is too big. What do you guys think? could it be done? I'm not sure how it attaches and everything else.

anything is possible :wink: i dont know how difficult it would be but for sure you should be able to do it... i am lookin into a shifter know swap myself and i was thinking of trying to make the boot look like a 5 speed :twisted:

Ross-Heres a way to try going about it:

Take the indicator plate off your (or a donor car) and take the assembly apart.. Grab the shift boot of your choice (I would actually recommend the boot from a 96-8 Achieva as those cars had a tall shifter like our Ws do, and the material is thinner).. Once you have that, slide it into the hole where the slider goes, then replace the slider.. THis will give the thing support so it doesn't pop off, and also it should allow you the retention of your gear indicator light.. Good luck, and throw up some pics!

Guest Anonymous

Well, i found a 97 GP SE in a yard... drove about half an hour there, turns out its column shift. i've never seen a column shifted 97+ GP before... so it was a total loss. Needless to say i am still looking for the boot, and thanks for the tip steve!

would the boot be found on a 97 GP SE???

Probably.

Look Here. This is on my '01. I like the way the shift boot is. Although I don't really like the snake head shifter. I would prefer a thumb button like in my mom's '03 Bonnie. So anyway...there is no indicator on the console. It's up on the dash. But there are still places that show PRND321, just not "line" that moves with the gear selector.

well you could dismantle the auto shift plate and take the whole slider assembly out, and insert the boot through the hole from it, however you would end up loseing the indicator that tells you what gear your in. but it oughta still light up