Opinions on a new car.

3pt1lumina

All I have to say is GET AN IMPALA! (00-05) It'll blow your mind how much better of a car it is compared to anything FWD that GM makes. Keep your eyes peeled and you should be able to find a good deal on one.

So what all is going to hell on your Mali? And at what mileage did you start having said problems?

Might as well get rid of it now while it still has some resale value left. After you hit 75k, you'd be better off keeping it and running it into the ground, 'cause you won't get shit for it in trade (or from a private party for that matter...)

Well, when I bought the car, it had 26k. 22months later it has 59k and I don't drive it all too gentle. It's been expensive stuff that I've never replaced on the Lumina (starter for one) and so on. 2 LIM's in 30k. However, a new job might come through for me so I am going to keep it. I can still afford it but if the right deal comes along I will get rid of it.

GMJ, that one in Albany you sent me was awesome looking. The LS Monte at Doan Resale center was sold :? ...it was beautiful too.

I'll get this off-topic discussion out of the way first: Those of you arguing about the 3800, the Series I (a.k.a. L27, which I have in my Regal) ended in 95. The Series II started its run in 95 on the H-Bodies, and spread to the whole GM lineup in 96 (well anything that came with a 3800 anyway.) Anything made in 97 with a 3800 is a Series II, a.k.a. the L36. There were problems with the early L36's (pre-99) where the composite upper intake manifold would warp due to a poorly designed EGR passage. GM solved the problem, and it hasn't plagued the newer L36's like it did the earlier ones.

Back to the topic at hand (a few questions for 3pt1lumina) :

So you were mostly having problems with the 3100, then? Here I'm thinking you were having major problems with stuff like the electrical or the brakes/suspension.

Did you get the revised GM LIM gasket set installed the second time around?

I have decided to keep the Bu. I can't find another vehicle with the same mileage or even a little bit higher without a TON of stuff wrong with it. My car doesn't need much, so I'll do it in steps and just keep it. Brakes/tires, tune up, fucking LIM, and maybe a tie-rod (not sure on that yet).

Thanks for the help on looking for a new vehicle. I am still sort of looking for a deal that I can't pass up, but I highly doubt I'll find one.

i don't get it 3pt1lumina, you have a paid for 90' lumina but you put it in sotrage to make payments on a newer car, i love my cars, but i'm not opposed to making my z34 see winter duty (at least till its painted). i guess i don't see why someone would rather make payments on a newer car when you have a perfectly capeable car at your disposal.

i don't get it 3pt1lumina, you have a paid for 90' lumina but you put it in sotrage to make payments on a newer car, i love my cars, but i'm not opposed to making my z34 see winter duty (at least till its painted). i guess i don't see why someone would rather make payments on a newer car when you have a perfectly capeable car at your disposal.

x2 agreed

I think the payment thing sucks. You should do what I do, and have a fleet of old w's, payment free!

If a good enough deal comes along I would say take it, but I wouldn;t hesitate to keep running the malibu otherwise.

I totally agree with you white93z34, problem is...is that my Lumina is a POS. I'm not gonna lie. I put on so many miles and the Lumina breaks ALL the time. I can't rely on a car that can't get me from point A to point B. I figured a new car would have been the solution. Don't get me wrong the Malibu has never let me down before, that's why I think I'm going to keep it. The Lumina, well my mechanic knows me real well. :lol:

i dono, i think the money would be best spent getting your lumina going good again, it can't be too expensive. with a little bit of effort and some money a 3.1 powered car would be a excelent highway cruiser. hell i just took my z34 10+ hours to new england recently and it did the trip perfectly. and i have the "omg unrelyable 3.4"

its okay i'll quit pushing my point now, i just detest car payments.

on a unrelated note i wish i coulda helped you out i was just near your neck of the woods recently.

If your Lumi breaks down all the time, it's really just a matter of time until you've got everything fixed and it will be a perfectly reliable car. I've spend more money in the 1.5 years I've owned the car on repairs that I actually paid for the fucking thing, just did the LIM gasket, but now I feel it will be reliable for a while...

agreed. When I fix something it stays fixed. the problem for anyone who isn't mechanically experienced enough is that they may have to take their car to a mechanic to have work done. I am self taught... I learned every detail on what to do and how to do it on my car. The advantage for you 3pt1lumina, is that you can come ask us for help and 'How-To' info when you have repair issue to solve. That said, what else needs to be done?