Opinions on a new car.

3pt1lumina

I think it's time to send my Malibu on down the road and pick up something new. I found a 98 Monte Z34 on the internet for $3300. Problem is, I don't know the mileage on it.

I've also found 2 Luminas, a 96 and a 98 LS for $2k. Again, I don't know the mileages on them.

I've always owned a W except for my Malibu and I want to go back to one. What are the average prices of Monte Carlos and Lumina's going for? (95-00)

This is an idea I am entertaining. If I can't get out from underneath because I still owe on it, then I'll keep it. But if I can spend under $4k for something that has less than 115k, then I'm going to seriously consider such.

Ideas?Opinions?Suggestions? Thanks guys 8)

I'd like to ask what is wrong with the malibu? I would think they were a just a hop skip and a jump short of being a W....... It is a 3100 V6, right?

I personally prefer to run a car into the ground.

I'd like to ask what is wrong with the malibu? I would think they were a just a hop skip and a jump short of being a W....... It is a 3100 V6, right?

I personally prefer to run a car into the ground.

they aren't even close at all with the exception that you can get a 3100 in both.....

Well, N bodies are just lower quality midsize family cars just like w's

That's what I am implying. I would think they have the same engine and tranny, and would still be a very good car to own and drive.

N-bodies are more of a compact car, not near enough room to be considered midsize.........IMHO of course.......

GM only called them a midsize car, and my mom has a GA, its definatly midsize, and its a 2 door, Cavilers are compacts

N-bodies are more of a compact car, not near enough room to be considered midsize.........IMHO of course.......

GM only called them a midsize car, and my mom has a GA, its definatly midsize, and its a 2 door, Cavilers are compacts

I'm not saying what GM called them...My mother has one, totally loaded (3100, leather, moonroof, etc) and I have driven it numerous times.....and like I said IMHO it is not nearly big enough to be considered midsize.....I can't describe how cheap they feel and how confined I feel when I drive it...

I would stick with the Malibu simply because of the fact it's newer (2001). They do feel like a cheap car though, so I can definatly relate to why you'd want to get rid of it. That being said I'd look for something with the 3800 engine, but not alot of mileage if you are gonna get an older car.

I'd get something else personally, because it will take some time to run that car into the ground, and if you don't necessarily like it you'll be stuck with it for a while.

I do agree they feel cheap though....my friend's parents have one and the seats feel like sitting on cardboard (I actually like my Lumina seats better :shock: :lol: )

My neighbor has a 98-99 MC Z34 3800 SII with over 500,000kms on it, and it looks and runs great. I wouldn't let higher mileage scare you away from a 3800.

Whats wrong with a series 1? Alot of old bonnies and olds 88's live past 300k with minimal problems

Well I've had nothing but problems with my mom's 3800 in her '97 LeSabre. And I've heard a lot of complaints with that engine.

Whats wrong with a series 1? Alot of old bonnies and olds 88's live past 300k with minimal problems

Well I've had nothing but problems with my mom's 3800 in her '97 LeSabre. And I've heard a lot of complaints with that engine.

97 u say? That would be a series 2

Negative.

Well seing as 94 ish regals got the series 2, Im really either doubting it or surprised Gm would be putting a Series 1 in such a new car, i see the 3800 as a hit or miss sorta thing, alot of absolutly not problems, some have a few, and others just have nothing but problems

Negative.

97 lesabres got the series II the series I was no more after late 96......

To be completely honest, the Malibu is turning into a money pit and fast. In some respects, its WORSE than my Lumina! That is just pathetic. Everytime I turn around it's something new that is wrong with it... and it's expensive to repair. On top of that, I am paying monthly payments on the loan plus I am putting miles on it fast. I do like the car, but not the problems it's giving me.

Another big thing, my job is taking a shit right now so I don't know how much longer I'll have one. As I am actively looking, I need to drain my bank account AGAIN on this stupid POS. So guess what? Cut my losses while I can and at least come out with a tiny bit of money to spare, and just buy another W and run it into the ground. We've always owned W's as a family, and tried and true no matter how they can sometimes leave you stranded, they've always gotten us from point A to point B relatively comfortably and always safely. So I'm going back to my roots.

I wanted a Monte before the Malibu. At the time the Lumina died and I was strapped and needed to buy a car on the spot. Well, I should have rode my Huffy for awhile, but you live and you learn.

As for my first post, I went and looked at them. The black Z34 Monte was a pile. Too many miles and way too many dings and rust. The Lumina's were the same story.

GMJ sent me a really nice looking Monte, I'm gonna look at it tomorrow night. Thanks for your help everyone! I'll keep you all posted on what happens. I see another W in my future, just don't know what yet.