Exhaust prices??

Bake82

So I was at my local muffler shop the other day asking about how much a catback dual exhaust would be and he said it was like $650cdn. from the factory to fit my '88 cutlass. I was wondering if that is true or if it is B/S? and he said a custom one would be close to a grand(all cdn dollars) What have you guys got yours installed for in either US dollars or cdn? To give me a ball park if I'm getting screwed over here. any prices or whatever would be good, thanks in advance!

I got my custom duals with no cat and turbo tube with mufflers for less than $250. Ask him to do a custom job it will be much cheaper and better than that crinkle bit crap that come from the factory. Yeah if you order it from the factory it will be really high, get it custom

Robby

i went and bought a dual exhaust setup from another cutty from the junkyard and it cost me 45 bucks and i am gonna put two dynomax mufflers so either way i am still under all what your payin i would look at a junkyard for a desent one and weld it on yourself

Ok, so I'm thinking of going to the junkyard to see if I can't pick up a good dual exhaust that will fit my 88 cutlass. I know there were lots of cars that came with dual exhaust from the factory but I'm not sure what models have them and if they will fit my car without modification. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

yeah go with stainless, if your going to upgrade, its very expensive and its way better than that crinkle bent crap from the factory, and it looks better too.

Robby

Ok, so if i go to the junkyard to see if I can't get good used system, and if they do, what w-body cars can I pull this exhaust off of? If I can't get a good one from the junkyard looks like I will probably get a custom one. Are the Stainless mufflers and piping worth another $200-$400(cdn) or should I just go with aluminized with stainless tips?

if you go with stainless, which I would do, it'll last basically forever. I mean, you'll, more than likely, never have to replace it due to it rustin out. Aluminized for the tubing I dont think is a good idea. For the tips, maybe to save money. I got chome tips and I thought they were rusted, and I took some chrome cleaner to them and all the rust came right off, good as new. Man, if you want, you can come down to Kentucky and I'll hook you up with one of my friends exhaust shops that did mine for $250 American. That was stainless tubing, two mufflers, turbo tube, and tips. Although KY is a little far for you to come to get exhaust done. :lol: I have never heard of a shop charging that much for a custom job. Oh well, have fun with it, it should sound mean when you get done.

Robby

Ok, so if i go to the junkyard to see if I can't get good used system, and if they do, what w-body cars can I pull this exhaust off of? If I can't get a good one from the junkyard looks like I will probably get a custom one. Are the Stainless mufflers and piping worth another $200-$400(cdn) or should I just go with aluminized with stainless tips?

Cutlass Supreme '90-96, Grand Prix '91-96, Lumina Z34 91-94. Bear in mind that anything '93+ will have huge mufflers, and the 3.4 cars have a resonator inline. IMO if you could find any of them 90-92 (except '90 GP) they sound the best, smaller mufflers, no resonator. I got mine off a 92 GP

before I did my exhaust, there was a resonator in the system, it was a single outlet system. I dont know why there was a resonator, and the muffler was huge.

Robby

hmm...maybe the single outlet went to the "quiet" version earlier? But also my sister's '93 sedan has the same small muffler that my '90 had, and no resonator. Weird...

Bake82 wrote:

Brian P wrote:

Cutlass Supreme '90-96, Grand Prix '91-96, Lumina Z34 91-94. Bear in mind that anything '93+ will have huge mufflers, and the 3.4 cars have a resonator inline. IMO if you could find any of them 90-92 (except '90 GP) they sound the best, smaller mufflers, no resonator. I got mine off a 92 GP

Thanks Brian, thats what i thoguht would fit, but wasn't 100% sure. I'm definetly going out to the junkyard once the rain stops here and i recover from surgery. Thanks for the imput I think either way I'm going with stainless all the way for the whole system evem if does end up costing me a fortune. :cuss: