Cutlass Supreme - door latch won't close

jenniferpa

I know there are other posts about this, but I haven't been able to find a permanent solution. When I open the driver's side door (from outside or inside) the catch that should lock on the post on the door jab recloses itself. The only way to actually shut the door is to hold the door handle and push the catch open manually. At first this was intermittent. Now it's every single time. This is driving me crazy. What actually causes this? Something sticking, something broken, what? Is my only solution to take it to a dealer? If it's broken, I probably would, but if it's something sticking, or simply come loose I would rather fix it myself.

Jennifer

Throw us a freaking bone here!

Jennifer, what type of car and two or four door model?

The parts are usually spring driven, so something is probably broken and needs to be replaced.

When in doubt I have gone to a junkyard and tested a mechinism in a identical door and purchased it. And I remove the defective unit and replaced it. The entire latch assembly can be removed normally using a torx headed bit and sometimes removing bolts or drilling/grindiong out rivets. (this does require removla of the door panel.)

welcome to the site!

It's a Cutlass Supreme SL 2 door coupe '96. So, if I was ordering this part what would it be called (e.g. lock, latch etc.)? I was looking online at GM parts, but I must confess, they were less than clear. Incidentally, when referring to a driver's door is it left or right? I.e. are you looking at it from the front, or from the rear?

Thanks for your help

Jennifer

The same part could be had from a junkyard as well. And they usually don't break. I got one for $5 at a j/y but I was a regular and i removed it. I would expect to pay maybe $15 to $25 if they take it off.

I dunno. Both of my doors did it ( now just the pass side once in awhile ), and my buddies Regal did the same. I think it's a little more common then you give credit for.

I'd say get a new one, and never have to deal with it again. At least not for a long time. It's pretty time consuming, and I didn't want to do it again. Not that it's hard or anything, just takes awhile.

It's a Cutlass Supreme SL 2 door coupe '96. So, if I was ordering this part what would it be called (e.g. lock, latch etc.)? I was looking online at GM parts, but I must confess, they were less than clear. Incidentally, when referring to a driver's door is it left or right? I.e. are you looking at it from the front, or from the rear?

Thanks for your help

Jennifer

I'll add that the service manual refers to it as a door "lock".

Try to talk to someone there on the phone or in person about it. That's how I made sure I got the right thing. I wish I had kept the reciept though because I could have given you a part number.