HOW MANY 92 GTP'S with 5 speeds were made?

MMC

Hi guys im new here but bought a 92 GTP with the 3.4 dohc and a speed manual trans in it.Bought it from a 64 year old guy with 103,000 on it. Real nice condition,blue paint and sunroof! Im wondering how rare it is,i have looked all over for production numbers but cant find anything.I ran onto this site and though if anybody knows ,you guys will. Any help or educated guess's would be appreciated.Thanks

Guest Anonymous

the 91's with 5 speeds were pretty uncommon. The 92's were a little more commonplace. I had one but i parted it out. IIRC the lists i got from the dealer stated there were a few thousand.

92 Petty Edition

I was just reading in another thread where you posted numbers from a GM guy that said 499 with the 3.4/5 speed were made,now im confused.Also believe it or not the older fella i bought it from was a car guy and he said around 500 were made so thats why im checking.

I think you are correct now that i reread it.Unfortunately they did not give a GTP Number.Whats a real nice original paint GTP 5 speed bring these days with just over 100K?

I have not seen your car but im guessing they might call mine aqua blue.

Cloth,power sunroof,hud,factory CD,both power seats, ect,ect. I wouldnt mind having a Petty Edition,I seen the first one this summer about 30 miles away from here in a guys small town collection,a 5 speed Petty would the cats meow!

the cats meow!

:bonk:

right. anyhow. i'd like to know where you people see all of these 5 speed ws. i still have yet to EVER see one. i have the transmission from one, but the place i got it from didn't have the car it came out of.

I own a body shop here in Iowa and the last time i called my salvage yard for a part,he got on his parts finder for the complete U.S. and he said there were a total 13 5 speed cars in yards,not just GP's thats 13 for all makes of w bodies.

When i ran across my GTP 5 speed it was the only one i have ever seen so i thought i better buy it,especially when a 64 year old guy had it!

I own a body shop here in Iowa and the last time i called my salvage yard for a part,he got on his parts finder for the complete U.S. and he said there were a total 13 5 speed cars in yards,not just GP's thats 13 for all makes of w bodies.

When i ran across my GTP 5 speed it was the only one i have ever seen so i thought i better buy it,especially when a 64 year old guy had it!

It is relatively rare, but keep in mind only a few salvage yards are on that system!

I would honestly have to say that there are a lot more than "a few' of the major players in the salvage world on that system for parts,but a percentage i cant give.

Also i just have never noticed any 5 speeds but i never started really paying attention untill a couple months ago when i bought this one.

Are there more Z34 Luminas 5 speeds than GTP or not necessarily?Or maybe we dont really know because maybe the nubers are set in stone!

so you think GM's numbers are inaccurate? How do you figure? Also in 92 there were 4 hundred and some made with the 3.4, 5-speed combo. I know because there was an efi number who had actually done his homework and found it out.

How many are left is anyones guess.The body style of cars from this site are dropping like fly's everyday.They are not in demand for the most part and are not worth fixing for most people that have them if they break. Plus the ones in the rust belt where i live are rusting away every winter they live to see.

A guy has to believe that the nice ones that are left and kept nice will be worth some money some day! As with everything it's just a matter of time.Im not talking huge money but look what some 60's cars are bringing today,someday these cars might be worth 5-10K,it will all depend on who and how many wants to collect them! It's always what people grew up with,those are the people that will want a nice one some day to relive their past!

I figured if i kept mine in alright shape and didnt beat it into the ground i'd hold onto it for a long time and see what happens.

thats my exact reasoning too :D