Get power

FordBoy

Sounds to me that i would be better off getting a new car period cause i cant afford a engine swap and even if i could there arnt any shops that could help me find an engine in this little hick town of princeton wi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FordBoy

• Intlcutlass

• jeremy

• z34_nut

Sounds to me that i would be better off getting a new car period cause i cant afford a engine swap and even if i could there arnt any shops that could help me find an engine in this little hick town of princeton wi

try to find a w-body with a DOHC....should be cheapest way to go...

Good power to me is at least 300hp i know that is most likely not posible with my cutty 165000miles but the stock 135hp isnt enough for me it cant leave a black mark unless i do a drop nutral but it wont be my last car i broke a cv shaft in my old car doing that to many times i did it once in my cutty and thats enough

That is IMPOSSIBLE for a 2.8L. :lol: You're better off swapping in a 3.1L or 3.1L Turbo. Since, they share the same mounts. The 3.1L Turbo would give you enough power.

the odds of me find a 3.1 w/ a turbo arready on it are slim to none and i would have to rebuild a 3.1 to be able to withstand the pressure of the turbo :bash: i am thinkin about just putting dual pipes on it + a k&n high flow air filter with my stright thow tractor mufflers 8)

the odds of me find a 3.1 w/ a turbo arready on it are slim to none and i would have to rebuild a 3.1 to be able to withstand the pressure of the turbo :bash: i am thinkin about just putting dual pipes on it + a k&n high flow air filter with my stright thow tractor mufflers 8)

That utta yeild you about 8 hp... :lol:

Look on ebay for the 1990 Turbo grand prix engine.... then you'll be set. (if your serious about the 300hp thing)....

I have been selecting parts for years now for that very project.

The straight throw trackor muffler it self had to have given me about 8-10hp it got quite a jump now + the filter is garenteed to give at least 10hp dual pipes should give 5-8hp so :peace:

no, if you want an easy cheap route to 300hp, get a L67... GTP, and GS's are easy to come around for cheap these days...

But, it's more expensive than the DOHC. You're right though.

The straight throw trackor muffler it self had to have given me about 8-10hp it got quite a jump now + the filter is garenteed to give at least 10hp dual pipes should give 5-8hp so :peace:

You Honestly believe your going to get 28 hp gain on an engine that makes 130 to begin with. :smilielol:

bsflag.gif

You Honestly believe your going to get 28 hp gain on an engine that makes 130 to begin with. :smilielol:

bsflag.gif

:lol: Yeah, he'd be lucky to get 3 horse from that. Plus, dual pipes would lose you power if anything.

NO!! im saying that i wil mabye get 15 earlyer it was said that i would get 8 no i got about that mabye a few less from the muffler the cone k&n induction should give about the same the duels im not shur about that was a guess

u may be right i dont knoiw much about the low power v6's i know v8's and high powered 1s it just felt like the muffler gave me about 8-10hp i dont have the fitler yet

Whenever you read a product that says it increaces your HP, plan on 1/2 to 1/3 of their claim.

If I were you... go to your local boneyard N pick up a spare 3.1 or 3.4 DOHC , whichever one you want to rebuild....

Get all new bearings, gaskets..bla, bla bla.

Pistons.... I whould purchase these with the intent of boost.

Heads... Port N Polish them, get ss valves. Heads is where you make your power, so don't be cheap here. Get the roller rocker arms too.

Cam... get a crane h-260-2 (i think it is)

You would then need some custom pluming for the turbo & exhaust.

Get an underdrive pulley, and a custom chip.

Keep your K&N

Get a hi-flo cat & muffler.

Provided you use a t3 or larger turbo , you should be close to that 250-300 hp range.

I still don't see the point of modding a fucking 2.8...

How old are you?

plus $$$ is short im a few months shy of 17

That's why my whole point is to NOT try to mod it. It's not meant to be a powerhouse. It's meant to be a reliable and decently quick engine. Adding mods other than bolt-ons will make it less reliable and more expensive in the long run.

Yeah, man. We can appreciate your wanting to work with what you have, but those motors were simply not set up for big numbers. The 3.1...yeah, maybe, but you'll need a super/turbocharger to hit the 300 hp mark. The 3.4 DOHC will get you closer, but unless your daddy's rich, you'll have to save up for years to buy an L67.

I tinkered around a bit with the 2.8 in my 1988 GP and it was all waste of money. A cone filter will only give you more power in the ass-dyno because it sounds louder. In reality you will lose VALUABLE TORQUE. I know as a fact because I took a cone and the stock airbox to the track and went from high 18s with the cone to low 18 with the box (yeah :lol: ) still like a 0.5second difference. From my understanding is you do gain some upper RPM horsepower with a cone filter, but lose torque... on a 2.8/3.1 anyways.

Trust me kid.. don't bother doing anything to that 2.8 other than regular maintenace to keep it running good. Save your money for either a different engine [or preferabley] a car with more power to begin with..

I tinkered around a bit with the 2.8 in my 1988 GP and it was all waste of money. A cone filter will only give you more power in the ass-dyno because it sounds louder. In reality you will lose VALUABLE TORQUE. I know as a fact because I took a cone and the stock airbox to the track and went from high 18s with the cone to low 18 with the box (yeah :lol: ) still like a 0.5second difference. From my understanding is you do gain some upper RPM horsepower with a cone filter, but lose torque... on a 2.8/3.1 anyways.

Trust me kid.. don't bother doing anything to that 2.8 other than regular maintenace to keep it running good. Save your money for either a different engine [or preferabley] a car with more power to begin with..

I ran 15s when I had my stock 2.8

Then again it was in a Fiero..........