Factory Stereo Questions

Mike

Hey Guys

I'm new here, I have an 89 Cutlass Supreme International Coupe and I love it! It's great too see that there are others out there just a crazy about there cars as me. I have a question for all of those who have removed there factory stereo. I was just wondering how to go about it (I know this seems like a stupid question but I'm not very experienced in this area). Anyways I have tried to remove the factory head unit (delco loc II) but can't seem to unplug the cables in the back - is there any special trick to remove the cables, I mean are the connectors locked in a special way. I don't want to yank and possible wreck the cables or connectors - I just want to remove the head unit so I can repair my cd player. Does anybody have a step by step procedure for removing the factory unit? Any help would greatly be appreciated,

Thanks

Mike

BTW this is an awesome site - keep up the good work

Welcome!

On my '89, the factory stereo connectors have a latch that you press in on while pulling the connector straight out. The plastic latch is locked by a little red plastic locking thing that you have to pop out. Then you can press the latch and pull the connectors out.

Newer ones don't have the little red plastic locks, but I distinctly remember '89 does, so that might be the source of your trouble.

Hey Luke, very nice write up on your site. I have done pretty much that with the cassette players. I didn't know the CD units could be replaced.....I might have to search ebay and some yards now...

Also forgot to add that even if you get a unit that is not the same part number, if it has the same plug it should work. At least the cassettes do.

if i got a cd player for my regal , factory, can i just take out the casette deck and swap in a cd player? i have the radio with seperate cassette.

and on those is it possible to add a cd changer and an amp?

i want to retain a factory look, and if i install a seperate system.......it wont look very clean

Thanks for the input guys! I'm still a little un sure of the locking tabs that you are talking about shawn. THe problem I have is that is seems that the wires are too short, cause I can't seem to pull the head unit out too far so it's hard to see what's gonig on back there. Do I have to remove the entire dash to remove the head unit, including the gauges? Are the locking tabs just a pinch and remove type deal? anyways, thanks in advance and here's a pic of my car - I've upgraded to the newer 5spoke cutlass wheels!

my%20car.jpg

Thanks in advance

Mike

I put an Alpine D-855 in mine. It was a leftover from my GTP.

CDAD855.jpg

To get to the radio in your Cutty, you have to remove 5 screws located on the plastic surround above the gauges. Disconnect the connector behind the foglight/bass control switch/slider, and pull it out of the way. There's two screws holding the radio in by the bottom, attached to a bracket on the underside of the radio.

Disconnect the antenna first, and then pull straight back on the red tabs. that will get them out. Depress the lock tabs on the side of the connectors attached to the radio, pull them out, and it's all gravy from there. I found that disconnecting the antenna first gave me anough room to work with back there.

I've been trying to find that same model of Alpine head unit.. I about had one on Club GP a while back, but I missed out on it at the last minute.

• 3 months later...

This kinda goes with what Luk did, and is really good write up on how to repair a delco loc II. Mine hade those very same problems, wouldn't play unless hot, lots of error msgs, I also had some issues with the cd eject/loading and often getting stuck in the unit. Now, why would anyone put up with these problems? I really like the OEM look, I like being able to use my steering wheel controls, and it really does sound good.

I was poking around a J/Y and had seen some of those salve cd units in the Trofeo's and some other high end GM's. I had taked my stereo apart many times, and was very comfortable with doing so. If you have taken these units apart you know that these things are basicly 3 parts. The tuner, the CD unit, and the faceplate. I was willing to bet, that during the manufacturing process, to make those slaves, all they had done was to slap the bottom half (cd unit) of a Delco Loc II, in it's own case. Well, I was right. If you take apart the slave unit with your Delco Loc II sitting right next to the slave, you will see they are the same, and now I have (again) a working cd player, and it only cost me $50.00 from the local J/Y. If you are in good with your local J/y, you could probably get it even cheaper.