replacing a TGP driver's door

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

today i fixed the driver's door handle in the STE so i can finally open it. one of the plastic clips broke on the door handle rod linkage. found a new clip at NAPA in the HELP! section, and got it fixed up.

but....upon inspection of the inner door sheet metal i found that the door had been hit and signs of somewhat extensive body work was apparant :( there were several holes drilled so the sheet metal could be pulled back out. on the outside of the door i can see where body filler has been applied since the filler is starting to crack. i'd like to just replace the entire door but is it possible to keep the ASC tag and VIN tags....can i transfer them over to the replacement door?

Guest TurboSedan

i haven't tried taking them off yet, hopefully it will be easy.

right now i'm just hoping the rear door isn't damaged. from the looks of it i'd be surprised if it isn't :( i can't help but think the best thing for me to do at this point is just find another white STE Turbo and write this one off.

Guest TurboSedan
why not find another GP STE and tear the doors off of it?

becuase finding doors and parts etc can easily become more expensive than buying another TSTE that doesn't need body work & paint.

Isnt that the one with half the paint gone and rust on the roof, or am i thinkin of a different one?

yes that is the one. the rust on the roof is only surface rust.

i've been discouraged from the get go with this car. it's just been getting worse and then seeing the crumpled inner door panel today i just want to cut my losses and part it out.

Guest TurboSedan

i need to quit bitching about this car :lol: i have edited my sig accordingly :D this car really needs to go (serious this time). if anyone is seriously interested in saving it and is able to come and pick it up, please PM me. i will try to put together a FS thread soon with pics and details.

Did you ever run a car fax on the car? I know they aren't always accurate, but it could possibly tell you if it was a large accident that could have potentially totalled the car.

Who knows, maybe it was just a minor fender bender where someone backed in to the door? I can't judge it without seeing pictures, but if the car looks straight, and drives straight, then I'd hang on to it. 8)

When I had to have my door replaced after the trailer on a semi turned into me the body shop said they couldn't get the lables off in one piece. they said they shredded. :roll: Be real carefull.

Jud

• 3 weeks later...

you should be able to order replacement labels based on the VIN through the dealer.

We used to get that kind of stuff all the time for mazdas and subarus when i worked at the dealer.