ghetto repairs...

19Cutlass94

On my 6k, the holes for the bolts to go through had snapped, and the radio just sat there.. I bought a radio for it but couldnt leave it sit loose like that.. SO, I got myself some packing foam, wood, duct tape, and a prayer and just shoeved a bunch of shit in there.. Kept the radio solid and my 100 USD Target AudioVox only skipped on Cold mornings.. I'll tell ya getting it out and a new deck in after I lost the face plkate was a PAIN IN THE ASS!

Ghetto install: GFs Achieva.. There is a brace thing in the back of the dash, directly behind the radio.. I was installing the deck while she was at work to try n "surprise" her.. Well, this brace was in the way, even with the longest adapter.. So, I stuck my screwdriver in there, and pused on it and snapped the back of it out, making enough room now for the deck to sit ack there.. In and working great.. Plus it gave me room to stow the wires away and the antenna cable..

FOr the Cutty, I will be epoxying the headlight switch to the bezel, and using the "White93Z34 oil pump drive fix" to fix said oil pump drive..

Also right now on the Cutty, the headlight is clearly out, but for the last week or so, I have been riding with it working fine.. ALl I had to do was hit the headlight and the filament made a connection.. Workin great for a week like I said! I have a new bulb sittin here, just need to get it in, lol..

And John, just reading that makes me want to start taking the bus from now on.. Who knows who else has fixed their ride "So proper".. lol

And John, just reading that makes me want to start taking the bus from now on.. Who knows who else has fixed their ride "So proper".. lol

:lol: Don't worry. I've since recognized just how much of a financial investment owning a car is.

The dash under my defroster vent is screwed down with wood screws to keep it from looking warped (you can't see it, and I didn't do this)

My rear speakers are screwed up from the bottom of the deck. The same familiar wood screws make another cameo here. Once again.. I didn't do this.

With my old GP, my driver side door didn't open from either side. To get out of the car, I leaned the driver seat all the way back and climbed in and out of the back door.

Before I got a 94-96 taillight harness on my GP, the light bulbs were duct taped to the assembly itself to keep them from falling out.

My MAP sensor is somehow screwed into the plenum. Ask Sean about this one.

The bottom part of the door panel in my Cutlass is held on with 3 7mm screws since all the christmas trees and their clips are broke. (Two on the bottom, one behind the seat belt so you can't see it).

The kneeboard under the steering column in the Cutlass is held on with 2 7mm screws. Sean was holding it up using the (now non-existant) parking brake handle.

The previous owner of the Bonneville had fixed the left-side turn signal assembly.. by attaching a new one with bug nuts.

For a few months, the radio harness in my Cutlass was held together by similar means.

I've got more if I just think hard about it.

i think you win haha. i think you have a beater? my lumi was taken care of luckily. but thanks to the goddam cat next door putting chips in my paint of my hood, the water got under the clear coat and bubbled it... the car now has hood cancer and it gets bigger everytime it rains... but it is my only car.... :( :bash: :bash: :bash:

Recent Ghetto repair:

Tired of trying to find a replacement lens for my passenger side headlight, tired of the halogen bulbs shattering in the rain, I opted for a less expensive solution;

Yesterday, while I work, I took some clear plastic packaging that hard drives come in, took it out to the car, cut it to shape with a knife, and slapped that puppy on with some Scotch tape. Works great for keeping the elements out, is nice and bright, and cost zero dollars.

On my GS, the pipe that was in place of the cat broke off, so i slapped on a cherry bomb glass pack in place, and torqued the shit out of a couple exaust clamps. then there was a leak, so wrapped the ends with foil tape. Leak still hasn't come back.

Then the original muffler took a shit on me when i was 100 miles away, so i bought a cheap OEM replacement to stick on. Chopped off the old one with a sawsall with a wood blade on it, and put the new one on. Once again, there was a leak, so i put on a whole bunch of silicone wherever there was a leak, and voila. A perfectly sealed exaust system. :lol: I want to get that fixed come spring.

The only thing that I've come close to rigging in my car is when I replaced the window motor in my SE. The bolts/nuts that came with the replacement motor loosened up a few times over the course of a few months despite the nuts being designed to lock onto the bolts. Anyways, I went to my brother's shop and spot welded those nuts on there to keep them from backing off and making my window rattle. They're definitely not coming loose now unless I want them to. :)

The only thing that I've come close to rigging in my car is when I replaced the window motor in my SE. The bolts/nuts that came with the replacement motor loosened up a few times over the course of a few months despite the nuts being designed to lock onto the bolts. Anyways, I went to my brother's shop and spot welded those nuts on there to keep them from backing off and making my window rattle. They're definitely not coming loose now unless I want them to. :)

sweet! I use nuts with nylon inserts :P

sweet! I use nuts with nylon inserts :P

I was going to purchase some better hardware, but I decided to fix things at about 11pm so I figured I'd just remedy things with what I already had. :lol: