ghetto repairs...

19Cutlass94

Today I was having such fun fixing my instrument panel. Since its broke in three places, plus where the dash pads mounts is also broken. Yep, pretty good right? Well the passengers side always jumped up and down atleast 3 inches everytime I hit a bump in the road. Well today Im happy to say that finially got fixed. Really the only thing I did was I took a piece of a universal heavy duty exhaust hanger, cut off where only the holes where in the metal, like the places where you can mount it, and bent that up to where I needed it, and bolted it in and BAM! problem fixed. Nothing like using an exhaust hanger to fix your instrument panel :wink:

Lets hear some of the ghetto stuff you guys/gals have done to fix something.

My stupid little Plunger that tells when the doors opens all fuckin bent in, so i have to put magnets on the door right there so it reaches all the way to press it in

I used the strap that comes with aftermarket stereos to fix my dash like 19Cutlass94 did. Great minds think alike, eh?

I had a rear strut mount break on the dirttracker GP, so I took off the broken piece of mount from the strut, pushed the strut rod back through the hole in the mount, and put the broken piece upside down onto the rod. It rattles, but will never come apart again.

One shift cable on my CS has another broken chunk of shift cable on the end of it to lengthen it another inch, still don't know why I can't find a set of cables to fit that car.

Shit I can't really think of anything major that is ghetto rigged in my Lumina

On my RX-7, 2 of the 3 catyletic converters were replaced with straight pipe :shrug:??

Oh the harness for the stereo in my RX-7 is hacked to shit from the previous owner, so I have that totally ghetto to make things work. Wires jammed into different connectors and electrical tapes to hell, etc. lol

On my friend's Blazer when we ran the power wire to his battery, we didn't have anything to mount the power wire to the top post with, so I took a hose clamp and yeah, it still is working to this day lol....

Oh, heres my other ghetto riging, my ICM plug was gettin pushed out by my oil return line from the turbo, So i Zip tied it closed, and pinned the "Clip" part that flares up on it under the oil return and its still workin

hmmm on my old cutty 3.4 the famous alternator went..yay so since i have no hoist tools or time (or money!) i rigged up this lil contraption...

got a cig lighter adaptable battery charger(where u plug in both cig lighters and power goes thru) modded it a bit put some lil cables on the en and ran it to the battery......drove 2 months like that :lol: :oops:

kinda werked like a mini alternator..lol except not very much power

On my old 88 GP the hood release lever (plastic) broke off so I had vice grips on the cable for like 3 years till I junked it..

Same car- door hinges were shot so the door was too low and the interior door panel rubbed on the inside of the car making it harder to open the door, so I just cut it off! :lol:

The main pipe that goes to the mufflers rusted off, after going to muffler shops have having them tell me it was too rusty to weld (have to buy new mufflers and pipe) I used some sheet metal, muffler cement, and sandwitched it together with a big clamp. Never came off again. ;)

On my current car the plastic vacuum hose that goes to the top of the TB lost it's seal, so I put a bunch of blue RTV and jammed a piece of cardboard between it and the TB bracket thingy. I finally replaced it last week (stupid $40 set of hoses :evil: )

I'm sure there's more but i can't think of them right now.

hmmm on my old cutty 3.4 the famous alternator went..yay so since i have no hoist tools or time (or money!) i rigged up this lil contraption...

got a cig lighter adaptable battery charger(where u plug in both cig lighters and power goes thru) modded it a bit put some lil cables on the en and ran it to the battery......drove 2 months like that :lol: :oops:

Holy crap....

180px-Macgyver.jpg

would be proud.

Holy crap....

mac2x.jpg

would be proud.

haha yeah no kidding! :lol:

Holy crap....

180px-Macgyver.jpg

would be proud.

hahahhahaah ya i almost called up both him and red green to patent that idea! :lol:

771265_100_full.jpg

My IP carrier was busted to shit too haha. That was my method /\ /\....

Otherwise, I duct taped my snapped trailing arm together so I could drive it for a day without hearing a CLUNK CLUNK when I hit bumps. :lol:

I used tie straps to hold the rear wheel on a car.

I discovered that the rear suspension's right rear lateral arm's outside hole had failed and had sepeated from the bushing and bolt that held it.

This was on a family trip..... from indianapolis, to cleveland, to washington DC... and exactly the same back... The probelm was discovered in DC.... ran to autozone got straps there... and installed:

one front to back which compressed the two lateral stabilizers together,

one hooked to the bolt that had the bushing which was supposed to be attached to the lateral link, and ran to the rear suspension jackplate.

and one went around the front body connection of the trailing arm through the suspension around the broken lateral link and back....

I post pics if i can find em.

I drove screws into the inner lip of the defroster vent to hold it down.

I fabricated metal brackets to repair the broken clip mounts on the door trim panel.

I used diodes so I could use different switches in the 94 Cutlass convertible domelight.

I used heatshrink tubing to repair broken hard vacuum tubing.

Um... let's see. On my old Grand Prix:

I drove on three cradle bolts for about three months.

Because I had zero money and the caliper was shot, I ended up totally grenading a rotor and fucking the brake caliper up beyond repair. I was delivering pizza at the time and couldn't be away from my job, so I grabbed a C-clamp, clamped the brake line off, and voila! Instant pressure. It made the other brakes work harder and my brakes locked up a lot more, but I drove for a couple months like that. :shock:

Right now my EGR valve is hanging because I've been too cheap to pick up an EGR adapter and van plenum for my 3400 swap. I still get an SES light, so I have no idea why it's still there and I haven't removed it.

This is the king of ghetto: when my old GP's amp died, I grabbed my four-speaker Altec Lansing sub and speakers and threw them in my old GP. Sounded decent, and I had a $13 power inverter that I powered them with.

On my old GP, when I FIRST got it, the PRNDL shift cable broke. Great. I didn't have any way to get to the junkyard to get a new one, so I grabbed a long ass combination wrench, and when I needed to shift gears, I put the EBrake on, got out of the car, pulled the airbox up and used the box end of that long wrench to push or pull the shifter where I needed it to be. I ran over my foot once because I forgot to put the EBrake on. :shock: :bash:

On my old GP, when I was working on the brakes, I forgot to tighten lugs on a wheel, and at 50MPH that wheel took three studs with it and I had to limp up the rest of the highway to where I was getting it fixed on two studs and the spare.

When I had my old GP, and I got a DIC from the junkyard, I ended up shoving the wires into the back of my clock head harness to power it, and the other functions I needed, I got from the back of my instrument cluster harness, again wires just shoved in the back.

... I think I'm the king of ghetto.

ahaha i was waiting for you to chime in john!

You've got some yourself, I think. How about the time we ran a GP LE on starting fluid up and down the road near the shop you worked at?? :lol2:

LMFAO!!! holy shit thats the best.

On my old 91 Firebird, the bracket holding the right headlight broke, so I grabbed a "heavy duty" paperclip, some self tapping screws and a drill. 5 minutes later, the bracket was back together, and I slathered some epoxy on it to keep it from jiggling.

On my sister's Citation (wow... remember those?), her cooling fan was not working, so I hooked up a light switch, the kind you find in your house, to the fan and battery. The switch barely stuck through the front grill, so she could flip it on and off whenever she needed to.

Ah, the good ole days.

lol that is some straight up ghetto rigged stuff lol.

my dog bone mounts on my car were F'd up, so i replaced one of them with a piece of wood that had holes drilled in it :)

worked for a good month.... then i thought i would try and snap it... and i did HAHA. was some nice torque going on, im sure i broke some lower mounts too haha.

also my power cable for my capacitor is running through the door jam :) im too lazy to drill a hole in the gromet, so i encased it in that tubing, and then ran it :) :alcoholic: