Total dash swap 92 Lumina, what will fit?

Crazy K

I will be at a great yard on monday to get the parts.....

Does anyone know what complete dashes will swap?

my interior is gray, (not the sometimes seen light gray 90-94 interior)

I would like to remove the 90-94 dash with the hiddeous sun damaged pad (third top pad!!!)

I would like to have a 95+ lumina/ M Carlo dash, but might get a 94+GP, 95+ Regal, or 95+CS dash

I prefer the 95+ lumina dash, as it would match the 95+lumina seats, and keep it chevy, Although I would still like to use the best optional chevy dash components no matter what dash I put in. (dual zone climate, 95+ radio, maybe the deluxe ltz guage with tach)

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36585&highlight=ub3

Here is what I know.

The airbox is identical (IIRC) in all gen1 and gen1.5 W's with exceptions of dual zone ones... which have split damper doors, I would have to swap to get dual, but fitment is the same.

The new dash uses a round column. the old, a square. Both columns mount the same, as seen in the transition from 93 to 94 CS where the column goes from square to round on the same dash.

I may have to replace the column to fit the new dash.

Obvously i would not be puttiong in airbags. I would like to install my 90-94 euro wheel onto the round coumn, but I know there is a slight difference in the column teeth, as the wheel on the round column has a 'guide' groove. I will have to test fit to see if is is possible. I may make the pasenger side one into an optional storage compartment, maybe for hidding a multidisc cd player?

assuming a 95+ lumina dash,

The door panel on both vehicles is integrated into the dash design, I know the door panels are not a direct swap(seatbelts, for instance), but might graft with some work...

the 90-94 lumina, 88-96 Gp, 88-97 CS and 88-97 Regal use the same windshield(differs 2 and 4 door however) and the same windshield wiper setup...

and the 95-00 lumina and M Carlo use a different windshield with a different wiper setup...

a possible reflection of a firewall change....

What I found in threads:

stockgp did a dash board swap of a dash (95+ CS I think) into a 90 GP. He has installed a CS UB3 digi cluster in a 94+ GP, I may do the same with a the lumina guages, or get a ub3 cluster and do the same.... http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28807

SS LUMINA (?)swapped out the dash board of a 90-94 lumina for a 97+ GP dash, and it required firewall modification as well as teh removal and replacement of the wipers with the GP wipres for proper fit. (and also swapped the engine and tranny and are using the GP cluster and HUD)

(if you know of good thread i missed, let me know)

There was another thread that stockgp had detailing his swap. He had to fab up brackets to hold the dash to the firewall (it wasn't "plug-n-play.") I remember him saying the "saginaw" (round) column wouldn't bolt up to the dash support without major modification, either.

FWIW, the slope of the windshield on the 95-01 Luminas was steeper than the earlier 1G W's. I remember that due to this, the dash in my old 96 Loomie was a tad bit longer than my Regal's dash.

If it were me doing the swap, I'd go with a 94-96 GP dash. It's got the proper slope to the WS, and there are probably more of those in the boneyards anyway. Another bonus of the GP dash is you can easily add the HUD and trip computer (as everyone on this forum and their grandmother have done already :lol: ) You could get the GP door panels to work with the Lumina's doors due to the GP's and older Loomies having GM's wonderful "passive restraints" in the doors...

Of all the dash swaps, why that one? No offense to anyone who owns one, but the 95+ Lumina/Monte dashes are hideous compared to even the cookie cutter interiors the GP, Regal, and Cutlass got.

going lumina all the way, if I can. I already mentioned the 95+ seat upgrade. My favorite junkyard has like ten of these luminas/m carlos, like 8 are the right color, and there are two 95+ z34 m carlos there, which may have better trim than the lumina (need to check)

If I were to use a GP dash, I would still want to try to use the 95+ lumina dash controls. (and would make a custom guage like stockgp)

thank you for the link to ss lumina. Does anyone know if he is on w-body forum? and his name?

p.s. I read that the GP panels won't fit, but as a custom job I would make them fit. if i go that route.

Of all the dash swaps, why that one? No offense to anyone who owns one, but the 95+ Lumina/Monte dashes are hideous compared to even the cookie cutter interiors the GP, Regal, and Cutlass got.
Hideous or not, they are quite "ergonomic." All the controls just "fall to hand," the instruments are easy to read, and the speedo is in the "proper" spot (front and center.)

The little pull-out cupholder that resides under the radio is completely useless if you put in an aftermarket stereo, though :lol: ...

I'd go with the Grand Prix dash. Big round analog gauges look cooler than a long rectangular instrument panel. Of course, if you want a real pain in the ass on your hands, the gauges on the '04+ models are awesome.

i love the look of my first gen dash, i like how its all thin and sleek.

but if you do this, will you swap in the 95+ door pannels as well since the first gen ones go with the lines of the dash?

Sounds like a neat project. I'm a fan of customizing with factory stuff from different models. I didn't think the 1.5 gen dash was too bad. I'm not sure I liked the console in those cars however.

As for the gauges, would the tach signal be the same between the gen II & gen III V6's (1.5 gen Lumina gauges in a 1 gen Lumina)?

if you want a real pain in the ass on your hands, the gauges on the '04+ models are awesome

Yeah, that would be a PITA. I was looking over the diagrams for the gauges in my Impala - all the gauges get their info from the class 2 serial data line.

um...yeah :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

i just don't know why anyone, aside from myself, would want to do a thing like this. it's just too much of a pain i the ass. i am a glutton fo r punishment, so i take it upon myself to do supid things like this :lol:

anyhow, for the steerign column, yo will need to drill and tap new holes. i know i took measuremetns and they may be in my interior swap thread. the square column's holes are like an inch or more closer together than the "saginaw" column's are. and iirc, my 90 gp steering wheel fit (temporarily) on the saginaw coumn so i could move it in and out of the garage.

the dash will require new brakcets or modification of the old ones. the newer brackets bolt to a piece of metal that is nonexistent in 88-93 cars. i originally modified my old brackets, but made new ones for strength.

also, there is a support beam that is independent of the dash (88-93 car's dashes had a built in support system) that provides rigidity to the middle of the dash. you will need to weld in two studs on each a pillar so the bar can bolt in. you can skip that part, but the dash rattles HORRIBLY without the bar.

and, yo will need to drill (i think) two hles in the top of the dash so that it will bolt in the same place as the 88-93 dash.

the cutty ub3 is in the same car (90 gp) that i did the whole interior swap in. it's a major pain getting the ub3 to fit. i had to plastic weld the bottom of the ub3 housing and the rest of the cutty gauge housing together. that's after completely gutting the cutty gauge housing.

then, there's no room in the housing for your warning, turn signal, ses light and all that. so i had to move mine to my gp overhead console.

honestly, save youself a lot of time, anger, blood and money and just BUY a car with the interior you want :lol:

ok... I did not get an interior.... but I may someday. I want to be punished.

I'm the master Glutton!

did some research. The bezel/face plate on the lumina is body colored. So if I do the swap I would use the black face plate from a black interiored car, paint the column black (if I swap the column) I did not find a cupholder beneath a radio. Does anyone have further info on it?

but other stuff came up....

I got a SHET load of booty from my favorite j/y in indianpolis this weekend. Spent $80. Got like $30,000 worth of parts. At least that is what I would have been charged at a local junkyard I won't mention *cough* Intercity autoparts *cough*

2 HUDs from GPs: 97 and 92ish w/switches...

3 radios 2 95+ lumina cd and one delco unidentified as of yet tapedeck from bonneville, CS, GP?, or olds 88/98.

plus 2 auxilary tapedecks from a 99 grand am and 97 malibu, with wiring, and they should hook to the 95+ lumina radios.

three swrc from an aurora 99?, a MC 99? and a GP 97? each with blown airbags....

W-body reading lights. WHAT????? I've never seen one before! from a GP

rearview mirror, self dimming and compass (I think) from an aurora

factory amp for 97 GP with connector...

odds and end switches wiring and what not.....

DUAL EXHAUST from a 94 Z-34 with only 100k. with those funny looking factory tips, but the pipe is slightly bent... but fixable and soon to be on my lummie!

YEAH... I just drove 350 miles with a pair of mufflers hanging out the back of my trunk.

Well if you have the dash out...you could be in a position to modify it to fit an aftermarket streo flush couldn't you?

The only thing to get it flush is a precise cut to tha back of the inside of the dash. The stereo should rest on the cut and a custom mount bracket on the front should account for the extra space and mount the unit EXACTLY like the factory mount.

The new factory like bracket should be created to push the stereo back and before cutting the inside you should be perfectly careful of avoiding all wires open and hidden from view.

I did not find a cupholder beneath a radio. Does anyone have further info on it?

Well lucky for you, I happened to have it pulled out when I snapped a pic of the dash in my old 96 :wink:

dash.jpg

I seem to recall the Loomies and Montes that had center consoles eschewed the ashtray and cupholder that the column-shifted cars had. The console "integrated" with the dash in that general area...