First GTP Problems, HELP

dkorinko

Alright guys two things have been going on with my car that I find just a little strange, so i thought I would see if anyone else has had the same issue. The first problem being that I will be driving down the road and then all of a sudden the RPM gauge will just fall to zero but the car is still running perfectly fine, and it will stay there until i restart the car, problem two, is that the car burps, when its in 3rd gear and doing around 50 mph, the rpm will go back anf fourth between about a 500 rpm range. Oh and one more thing, the "service engine soon" light is now on, even though I have not done anything to the car and it still runs the exact same way, is there any way to reset the computer like I did many times on my 89 TGP? Thanks for the help guys...

Dane

to reset the computer all you have to do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes....I would just take it to an Autozone and have them pull/clear the code though so I could figure out what caused it.

Sounds like the same electrical problems my buddy had with his '97. Don't worry about the gauge. It's just a fluke. Get the SES codes scanned to see what they are. It could be something like the rear O2 sensor (something that won't pull timing like most other SES codes).

Thanks guys, I was not aware that an Autozone would do something like that for free. I will keep you guys posted and let you know what it ends up being, i am sure its something very small, like I said, the car acts absolutely no different from what it did before, and for some reason the check engine light is on...weird?

to reset the computer all you have to do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes....I would just take it to an Autozone and have them pull/clear the code though so I could figure out what caused it.

Don't disconnect it. Just take the negative terminal off for 5 minutes. That resets the computer, I believe.

Don't disconnect it. Just take the negative terminal off for 5 minutes. That resets the computer, I believe.

That would be disconnecting it durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That would be disconnecting it durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I thought disconnecting it was taking both terminals off, which is a complete waste of time.

Yeah that whole 5 seconds to disconnect the other terminal is a waste of time. :lol: I want my 5 seconds back!

And w3rd to getting the codes checked.

You must be good with a wrench, it takes me at least 15-20 seconds to take the fuck out. 8)

Yeah that whole 5 seconds to disconnect the other terminal is a waste of time. :lol: I want my 5 seconds back!

And w3rd to getting the codes checked.

You must be good with a wrench, it takes me at least 15-20 seconds to take the fuck out. 8)

I have a set of ratcheting wrenches haha.

I have a set of ratcheting wrenches haha.

yeah, no shit. With a regular wrench it takes like 5 seconds longer. My 1/4" air ratchet works pretty well for that as well. Air tools are my friend. If you disconnect one cable then its disconnected. For anything to have power it needs to have power and ground, so when you disconnect one there is no power. Disconnecting both does nothing different, but if it makes you feel better go ahead and take both off.

Shawn