BOV

mindgame

just got my 1gdsm bov in today, could some of you post some pics of where you mounted one so i can kinda get a good idea? also any tips/warnings befor i jump into this? also i got it for $20 bucks so i think i got a good deal on it.

here is a few more pics of the boost line routing.2056262_85_full.jpg 2056262_87_full.jpgthis is where it threads into the back of the intake manifold I am getting a 90 degree bend for it

autometer boost gauge status: noisy, like a bell. not accurate, reads zero boost. i think there is a kink in the line which is thin.

BOV status: new "fuel hose" with chrome mylar braid/defective turboXS type s spring too stiff, when it does work its quiet.

turbo was brand new, I need a dsm unit before I blow a bearing.

The Turbo XS BOV's are not really meant for stock boost levels. They can kill small turbos.
someone rec. I buy one and I tell ya they don't work. it says 0-12 psi range so... they should be more descriptive.

My other car's turbo just failed (oil seal is gone, smokes like crazy) I mainly attribute it to the type RFL bov I had installed on it. The turbo is rather small and I guess the BOV just doesnt have the response that smaller turbos need. I would highly reccomend an HKS SSQV or the Greddy type RS valves for smaller to medium turbos and stock boost.

Guest TurboSedan
My other car's turbo just failed (oil seal is gone, smokes like crazy) I mainly attribute it to the type RFL bov I had installed on it. The turbo is rather small and I guess the BOV just doesnt have the response that smaller turbos need. I would highly reccomend an HKS SSQV or the Greddy type RS valves for smaller to medium turbos and stock boost.

i have no problems with mine at all. mine responds very well and i don't hear any type of fluttering (associated with the BOV beginning to open). of course, no compressor surge fluttering either when i let off the gas.....just a nice loud "PSHHHHHHHHHTTT!!!". my turbo is doing great.

the RFL can be taken apart and shimmed. sounds like that's what you need to do. it doesn't really make sense to me that a smaller turbo would need a different BOV than a larger turbo would. after all, during normal driving the turbo wouldn't be pushing high boost anyway.

Garrett Powered, do you have a real TurboXS RFL or is it a cheapo ebay knock off?

fwiw i used a 1g DSM BOV on my old GTS, and i hated that thing. i'd never use another one. if i were to buy another BOV i would go with the ATP RS modular BOV but they are almost $200. and i agree that Autometer mechanical boost gauges suck, whatever the series :lol:

I wish it was a RFL, its a type s and it came in an official Turdblo XS black box says Item No. BOV-S looks official. Im about to grind the spring down.

Grinding the spring down wont really help. I had a few different springs laying around that I put in and none of them would hold the piston shut at idle. That was a MAF car though so it ran rough, not exactly sure what that would do to these.

@TurboSedan:

Your turbo is much larger than the turbo that came on the capri's engine. Its an IHI VJ14 if you want to look up the specs, its in the RHB5 family.

The compressor on my turbo is very small, and the time it takes for the BOV to open can stall it. Also I had noticed that when the BOV should activate but I wasnt at full boost, it would not open all the way or not at all. This is due to the stiffness of the spring. Its really meant for a large turbo with a large compressor and high boost.

Shimming it only makes the spring stiffer, which in my case caused the BOV to not open at all. No good. If I get it back on the road I'm either going to get an SSQV or a good recirc valve.

I wish it was a RFL, its a type s and it came in an official Turdblo XS black box says Item No. BOV-S looks official. Im about to grind the spring down.

Grinding the spring down wont really help. I had a few different springs laying around that I put in and none of them would hold the piston shut at idle. That was a MAF car though so it ran rough, not exactly sure what that would do to these.

@TurboSedan:

Your turbo is much larger than the turbo that came on the capri's engine. Its an IHI VJ14 if you want to look up the specs, its in the RHB5 family.

The compressor on my turbo is very small, and the time it takes for the BOV to open can stall it. Also I had noticed that when the BOV should activate but I wasnt at full boost, it would not open all the way or not at all. This is due to the stiffness of the spring. Its really meant for a large turbo with a large compressor and high boost.

Shimming it only makes the spring stiffer, which in my case caused the BOV to not open at all. No good. If I get it back on the road I'm either going to get an SSQV or a good recirc valve.

what do you mean grinding the spring down wont help, it wont really hurt since the thing will only blow when the rpms and boost are fully maxed out. so shimming will only make it stiffer like you said. its too quiet anyway , damn my luck sometimes. :roll: