Brake pedal drawing too much current.

samiamryan

I read on a link below that the break pedal can suck too much electricity and will dim the lights and even shut the car off. I have been trying to figure out what was doing this and saw someone said it was a brake switch. Also I have to pull the pedal back up with my foot or the brake light stays on. Anyone have any idea how much a mechanic would charge to get that switch replaced and parts. Also, would this be a sign that my alternator is going dead cause it wasn't this bad about a year ago. Then it got worse and worse to the point were I couldnt stop without the car shutting off. Once I changed the battery, It was fine for a while, then the dimming started. Any help would be great. Thanks

I have the switch sitting in my garage. Mine only stays on when it's really hot outside. That thing is a PITA to get to. As far as the lights dimming, my car does the exact same thing. Both W-bodies I've owned do.

As for the switch being a PITA to get to, that is why I am having a mechanic do It. :wink: I'm 6'2'' 250LBS. No way in hell im getting under there. I was wondering how much I would be charged and how much is the part.

Most likely the switch need not be replaced. Probably just needs to be adjusted. But yea, being a big guy you're probably going to have a hard time getting down in there and getting your arms up in the dashboard. And it is a pain in the ass, even for a smaller guy like me (5'6" 145lbs).

As for the switch being a PITA to get to, that is why I am having a mechanic do It. :wink: I'm 6'2'' 250LBS. No way in hell im getting under there. I was wondering how much I would be charged and how much is the part.

NO SHIT!

I'm 6'5 and a shit over 225, and i had my friend fix it up. I'm too damn chlostrophobic to do it (ironic?)

I did mine no problem....yea right :lol: AND I am 6'8" and 270lb. lemme tell ya I almost had a heart attack. and all my fore arms muscles were cramping. sweat pouring down my face and it was like middle of summer. I got LED tail lights now and no more problems. they dont heat up the switch and melt it anymore. see if you have it out of adjustment like when you pull the pedal out, and you hear that ratchet sound, then the lights stay on for a half hour or so before you realize it, thats when your switch melts beleive it or not.

Ocassionally, if i give it moderate to heavy brake pressure, when i let off you can hear it do its plasticy click click click really fast, like a ratcheting thing, thats the Adjuster im sure, but is this normal or is mine on its way out or what?

And it is a pain in the ass, even for a smaller guy like me (5'6" 145lbs).

No trouble at all for me... 6'2" & 145.

haha im 6'4" and 155 lbs, lol! its not too hard to get under the dash, but ur back still hurts like hell

I dont pull up on the pedal
good because thats how I f-up all the time, I am messin around and pull up the pedal and rrrrrip, the thing goes out of adjustment, then the light stays on and If you dont fix it, will melt the switch.

I dont know if you had to do one yet. I have done it three times in 5 years.