Thunking noise

gimp19

Ever since I got my car 2 years ago its been making a thunking noise in the passenger side rear when I go over bumps. I am getting sick of it and want it fixed but im not sure what it is any ideas?

it could be a blown strut too, they rattle like you have a rock inside the door frame. Dont worry about the aux springs, that's not it. If your strut mount went bad, look in the trunk and see if the strut broke past the strut housing and is hitting the metal next to the 6x9's...

It could also be a broken jounce bumper allowing the heavy plastic boot to bump around. I had this problem and it was bothering me a lot, so I got some wire and wired the boot back up.

it could be a blown strut too, they rattle like you have a rock inside the door frame. Dont worry about the aux springs, that's not it. If your strut mount went bad, look in the trunk and see if the strut broke past the strut housing and is hitting the metal next to the 6x9's...

That's what EXACTLY happened on my 94 GP SE 2 years ago. I didn't have the money at the time to get the mount, and drove it that way for about a month. Needless to say, it bent alot of metal next to the 6x9, I was actually waiting for it to go through the speaker shelf and out the back window, :lol:

Aaron

My Lumina did this. Sounds like a loose shock (from the old days) thumping around.

Most likely it's the strut bumper (upper mount). There's a TSB which lists replacement P/N of improved mounts/bumpers.

I went out this morning looked in my trunk and found no damage then I went and took a closer look at my struts and I noticed on the noisy one a piece of metal came un welded and is bouncing with the big rubber thing and thats whats making the noise. Both of my rear struts are like this except the other one isn't noisy cause it dont have a piece of metal bouncing around with it.

strut.jpg

On my sisters Prix they make a tight little sandwich on my car they have all kinds of room to bounce around and make noise.

Looks like you need a new upper strut mount. That one sure is rusty!

I would also buy a new jounce bumper and boot kit. I prefer the Monroe kit, instead of a plastic boot, it's a flexible rubber bellows. In the unlikely event that it were to come loose on either end, the flexible rubber won't make any noise.

Looks like you need a new upper strut mount. That one sure is rusty!

I would also buy a new jounce bumper and boot kit. I prefer the Monroe kit, instead of a plastic boot, it's a flexible rubber bellows. In the unlikely event that it were to come loose on either end, the flexible rubber won't make any noise.

Can someone please explain what all these parts do? Is there supposed to be a big gap like that between the jounce bumper and strut mount? Because on my sisters car there isn't so I thought maybe my struts were bad. Thanks :)

No, there is supposed to be NO gap between the jounce bumper and strut mount.

The upper strut mount is that metal thing on top. It's what the top of the strut shaft threads onto. It bolts to the top of the strut tower.

The jounce bumper is also known as the "bump stop". It's the cushion for suspension end-of-travel to absorb the impact of bottoming out. It's made of a type of foam and is supposed to be attached to the upper strut mount.

The boot is the plastic (or rubber) cover that is attached to the jounce bumper. All it does, is protect the nickel-plated strut shaft from dirt & debris.

Your struts might be bad, but it has nothing to do with the fact that your upper strut mount has broken and let the jounce bumper fall down.

Thanks Shawn, I figured there wasn't supposed to be a gap but both of my rears have one and by sisters driver side strut has alittle one so I thought id ask.

I don't think my struts are bad when I bought the car the guy said they were new but then again he said the bald tires were new to so maybe he ment 10 years new :lol:

I started looking for the parts you listed and could't find much info on the Monroe jounce bumper and boot kit the ones I found were all in the same price range ($10-$20) so the monroes shouldn't cost too much more (if I could only find them). Is there any particular strut mount that is a good value cause those seem pretty expensive and I dont want to spend money if dont have to. If you have any part numbers that would be great.

Thanks again :D