New Plug gap for New coils?

z34Phoenix

was wondering... i know everyone says that the MSD coils and the like are not worth buying, cause the factory coils have enough spark for our engine...

what i was thinking, is there a way to use these coils by having a larger plug gap? the larger gap, IMO would require extra V and the new coils will give just that! by having a larger gap. the spark will be bigger and burn more effectively. does this sound rational?

even if i dont see a HP change, i would think there would be fuel efficeny to gain by this. and for a new set of plugs for under $40 and coils from summit or jegs are like $100 its not that much if i can gain mpg

No. Not worth doing period. The GM oem system is so efficient, there's no way you could realistically improve on it. Any engine 'enhancement' done through spark plugs is just flushing money down the drain.

nope wouldnt help, but if you think it will, spend the money, set it up and prove us wrong

If you want to maxamize the effectiveness of the ignition system get a good set of 8mm or 8.5mm wires good NGK plugs and route the wires in such a way that there is at least 1/4" of space between each wire to prevent cross sparking. (Jegs and Summit sell mounts for this very purpose)

agreed, I didnt notice any change in fuel econony upgading to MSD 8.5mm wires however it did run smoother and my O2 readings indicated more complete burning of the fuel. (as inaccurate as stock O2 sensors are :roll: )