A/C Problem

f_399

my AC stop working

it got hot today and decided to use it.... turned it on, heard the compressor make an unusual sound, it got cool for a while then when my revs got higher it turned off

now it just wont work.

i guess its not so bad now that its winter but i do want to get it fixed.

how much? whats the worst case scenario?

sounds like some of the refrigerant (R134a) leaked out and the pressure is just a bit too low to allow the compressor to activate .

I'd check your pressures and go from there.

--Dave.

Jeez it's 21*F outside today you don't need A/C!!! :joke: :wink:

I agree, sounds like your refridgerant leaked out. Get one of those kits ( I think they're like $20) and recharge it. You need to do it on the port next to the battery I believe. Which means the airbox has to come out (If I'm not correct, someone please correct me)

Since you have a 97, R134-A is going to be your friend. 8)

hmm... Okay 2 things. Either you have a major leak or the compressor or condenser died. Typically if you lose all the refrigerant the compressor will stop kicking on.

When you charged it 2 months ago, did you put the oil in with the refrigerant for the compressor?

If it were me, I'd test how much refrigerant is in the system and if it is pretty full, I'd bet the compressor took a dump on you.

Take the airbox out, remove the cover on the low-pressure port, and depress the schrader valve. If no refrigerant releases when you depress the valve, then it's a safe bet that your system's empty...

I'd get one of those cheap kits with the UV dye in it, and top it off with that again (assuming the stuff leaked out) that way when you go to the shop to have them look at it, they will be able to look for the leaks with the UV light.

--Dave.

If you have a leak, unless it is a tiny pinhole leak in the evaporator, then the stop leak stuff will do no good. You could also have an over pressure situation. Without pressure readings, everything is merely speculation. If you can borrow or rent a set of gauges, give me pressure readings and the ambient air temperature and then we can start diagnosing the problem.