stupid door handles!

DaveFromColorado

so it's been a wonderful christmas, except for the part where I couldn't get into my Lumina, while we were 100-some miles outta town.

so get this, I unlock the drivers door, pull on the handle, like I've done thousands of times before, and whelp, I'm sure y'all can guess what happened - so I'm frustrated, and I go over to the passanger door, just to break the stupid little thinggie that attaches the rod to lock cylinder - so I was totally locked outta my car, with nearly no hope of getting in.

I ended up using a LONG peice of welding rod, and being able to hit the power lock button to finally get in, after just over an hour of tryin' to figure out what it was I needed to do to get in.

I now have a power-unlock button in my trunk, in case this ever happens again.

Thought I'd share that with everyone.

Anyhow, does anyone have a link to the site that sells the "good" door handles for the 2-door w's?

--Dave.

i only have ever broke one handle in 2 years now, and it was in the middle of the summer.

but as far as good handles, i haven't heard any complaints of the ebay ones yet.

Funny thing, I can get that A1 part at a local junk yard (brand new part) for 31.90, or on the internet from them at 32.95 (including shipping)

I had to replace the one on the passanger side last summer, I got that part from a different local junk-yard for $8.00 and I'm thinking I'm going to be replacing that one fairly soon too, as a just in case, so I've got two good working brand new units.

my BIGGEST fear is having both break at the same time.

Thanks for the links!

--Dave.