Check out this Grand Prix

PJB

WOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Man, that is awesome. He really had to strip that under hood are, didnt he? The best part is, I read in Hot Rod Magazine recently that there is a guy out there that specializes in Northstar performance. He got like 500HP easily out of one. That guy deserve major props!

Robby

Wow, that's really cool!

But I wonder if he realizes a Cutlass Supreme and a 97+ Grand Prix are completely different underhood.

I already knew a Northstar would fit a 97+, but I was under the impression that there's no way to fit one into a first gen W-body.

I don't doubt that he knows engine swaps, but I wonder if he knows first-gen W-bodies!

Do you have any more details on this swap? Guy's nick, link to where he mentions it, more pics, anything?

I'm still waiting on an L67, but Northstar just seems more interesting.

Thanks. I found it over there and sent him a PM. Says he swapped the whole thing with 4T80-E in it, which is a problem because the 4T80-E won't fit a first-gen W.

Thanks. I found it over there and sent him a PM. Says he swapped the whole thing with 4T80-E in it, which is a problem because the 4T80-E won't fit a first-gen W.

But will the Getrag mate to the Northstar?

RedZ

I think the Fiero guys put Getrag-282's against NorStar motors in the Fiero's. There is a kit if I remember right for the bellhousing to bolt to it. I will do some looking... 8)

I had always thought the Northstar had a FWD bolt pattern, same as the 4T60, HM-282, etc., but Zooomer at ClubGP says the 4T80-E has a different bolt pattern. Can anyone confirm this? Does the 4T80-E actually have the same BP as an LS1?

Guest Anonymous
I think the Fiero guys put Getrag-282's against NorStar motors in the Fiero's. There is a kit if I remember right for the bellhousing to bolt to it. I will do some looking... 8)

I think V-8 Archie makes an adapter plate for it.

The getrag 282 and 284 do not use the adapter plate for the bolt pattern. The 4 speed Izuzu does need that plate though. The N*, 4.9, 4.5, 4.0?, 3.8, 3.4, 3.1, and 2.8 all will bolt up to the tranny. They have been done and have been proven to last given you give the tranny a firmer backbone for anything past the 3.1L. There is a guy in VA that has a Northstar in his Fiero and has been shifting with the Getrag/Muncie tranny since 1999.

Trav

And the guy with the N* Fiero just burned his first Centerforce clutch a few months back. I dont even think he has broken an axel yet... Never know though

If the Northstar shares the FWD bolt pattern as all the other engines (which is what I also gather from the Fiero sites), why does Zooomer think differently? That's what I wonder.

Couldnt tell ya on that one, maybe just a rumor that he has heard?!?! i wonder how hes got the wiring for the bay wired up.. Maybe ill contact this fella lol - Curious to know how one would take on an insane project like that