Held / HT Motorsports.

lakefxgp96

I just noticed a major update to their website, although the information looks incomplete. I heard word that they are under new management? Any more information on their new products, or a thread where this is discussed? I did a few searches but there were 100s to sift through where held is just breifly mentioned but im just looking for specific product info.

And yes I emailed them directly but i dont expect a reply until after the holidays...and im a little impatient! lol.

Wow, a response on the holiday weekend! thats good news! lot better than the experiences i have heard of before.

Michael,

Thank you for the inquiry. We are still working on our web site, adding and

correcting information as time permits.

We have done the front coil overs as a kit or assembled to strut housings

with Koni racing inserts. We have also done them with the KYB inserts. We

have not done the rears with the Koni racing insert. There has not been much

of a demand for that insert in the rear, so it has not been developed. We

have been using the KYB strut. Front coil over Koni kit is $650, with KYB

inserts is $435. Let me know if you want prices for assembled front coil

overs. The rear coil over kit is $290 for use with your struts, or $489

assembled to KYB struts.

Yes, the bushings in the rear arms are poly. The fixed length arms are $130

for a pair. The adjustable arms are $180 for a pair. A complete set we do

for $399.

Our strut tower braces are $129 each, front or rear.

I have also attached information on the coil overs that I will eventually

add to the web site.

Lee

HT Motorsports

616-893-1433

(text of attached word doc)

The early generation W body uses a unique design for the front spindle. The strut and the spindle are not separate units, which are more commonly used. The housing has a bolt-in hub (bearing). The stock ball joint is riveted in, but replacement ball joints bolt in. The dampening is achieved by a cartridge which is drops into the housing and is held in by a special threaded nut, which threads into the top of the housing. To convert the housing to a coil over set up, there are a couple of modifications required. The stock spring seat needs to be removed as well as the rather large plate which is welded on the body of the housing. Once these items are removed, the threaded sleeves will fit over the housing. We offer a coil over kit, which can be installed on the existing housing, once the modifications are complete. The modifications can be done with the housings on the car, but are much easier with them removed. We also offer a complete assembled, ready for installation housing with the coil over hardware installed. The housings are stripped, blasted, powder coated, and then the coil over hardware is installed. The existing hubs will need to be installed, as well as ball joints, before the housings can be installed into the car.

The rear of the early generation W Body uses a buggy type leaf spring to suspend the car. Our coil overs can be installed and the buggy spring can be removed. Our coil overs can also be used as a type of overload spring. This is popular for guys using there cars for hauling trailers or much additional weight in the rear of the car. Of course the spring rates for the coil overs need to be selected appropriately. GM did not specifically design the rear shock/strut towers to handle the weight of the vehicle. The vehicle was designed to carry the load on the buggy spring. It is thought that suspending the car with coil overs and removing the rear buggy spring may cause the towers to fail. Many have installed coil overs without issues. The towers are designed very similar to the front towers. The same gage and number of layers of steel are used. Since the front carries the vast majority of the vehicle weight, it is thought the rear towers are strong enough. With this information, you must decide on your own if coil overs are right for you. There is no guarantee you will not have tower issues. We offer a coil over kit for the rear, which you install on your existing struts. We also offer coil overs assembled to new KYB struts. These, you install directly on your vehicle.

Our coil over kits, are available with many different available spring rates to match your driving style and specific weight/load requirements. You will not only have adjustable ride height, but you will be able to tailor the ride to meet your intended driving style.

hmmm interesting, i notice they dont have the big brake kit any longer. They were very overpriced and after reciveing no support from them when they sent me an STB that was completly wrong for the car (missing parts, wrong size bolts), I decided to forget they existed.

It would be nice to know for sure if they have thier act together as they are the only people who make a truly bolt on rear STB for the gen 1.5 w-body.

More info:

We have spring rates up to 400 lbs. I would think they would be stiff enough. My spring manufacturer is the prime producer of racing springs here in the states.

You can use the KYB struts that you have. As you go up in spring rates, you will find the KYB struts are valved a little soft.

You are correct on the rear arms. Two trailing arms that run fore and aft. Two toe link arms, these are adjustable. Two radius rod arms. The $399 is for all six arms.

Sounds like a bit of vague confidence sprinkled with some honesty. My questions were, what are the springs designed for specifically, racing use, street use, or general, and whether the KYBs are stiff enough for high demands. I also asked what the 399 kit contained, since i couldnt tell if it was 4 parts or 6.

I wonder how konis in the front where 60% of the weight is would work in the fronts with just KYBs in the rear. I would think this would help reduce understeer anyway....