Remote Start Trouble *update*

jdcutty

These people at Best Buy must be some idiots or something. I have a Viper VX771 2-way alarm/remote start system installed on the cutlass and they cannot get the remote start to work at all. They say that they can hear the relays kick in when the button is pushed but nothing happens. I guess they have tried everything short of rewiring the entire system. This really pisses me off cause it's cold as fuck and I dont want to pay 400 bucks for something that only half works. I guess i just needed to vent, but maybe anyone that is keen on these things can give me some suggestions on what may be wrong. I have reschelduled an appointment with the "master installer", and i guess i will have to see what he says.

I wish i wasn't so lazy or I would just do it myself, but I would rather not void the lifetime warranty. I just wish these dumbasses would do the job they get paid for. :cuss:

94 CS in profile?

The 94 CS has a passkey. When you hit the remote start button, do all the lights turn on and does the security light turn on or not?

If IIRC, if it detects a resistor(ie bypass module) and the resistor is correct it will turn the light off after 5 seconds(you might have to hold remote start button?)

If no light, try sticking the key in the ignition (do not turn) and then hitting the start button. if it starts, they forgot the bypass module(ie dumbasses).

What he said. That was the problem with mine. They called me and told me they can't get the car started. I was like WTF? They had my keys there, and they didn't notice the little resistor on the key. :roll:

Geez...I better make sure I tell them when I have my XMAS present installed on Tuesday then. You'd think they would know something like that though. I mean, they even carry the DEI VATS interface, so it isn't like it's a big deal or anything.

Actually it wasn't bad. It cost me $40 CDN to bypass VATS for my starter. It shouldn't be a lot more than that, but then again, I guess it depends on the brand of the starter, unless there is a universal bypass or something...

Best Buy= dumbasses. I had my remote start put in there. When they told me they had to put in a $60 bypass relay I told him "my key doesn't have pk2 on the key, so I dont need that," they were like "oh yeah, I guess not." When I actually had them put it in, they forgot to hook up my trunk pop and they knocked out the crossover to my front left spkrs. This was after they were bragging to me how much better they were than Circuit City. GG Best Buy you stink.

Well, ya know. I must be a dumbass too cause I didn't think of that at all. I cant even go out to my car and try it cause it seems as if they left the remote start portion unhooked. It doesn't do anything at all when the button is pushed. I guess I will have to go and talk to them about that. yay :roll:

The guys at Best Buy can't be experienced!!!!!!!!!!

We are professional installers and Its just common sense that you need a Security By-Pass. I use a transponder that you can adjust to the right resistance or you a the new self-learn by-pass. Real slick unit. If any of you guys have any questions on Remote starters, entry or security, ask any time.

Regards to all,

David Hayes

I work at Best Buy, and can speak for the ones at my store they know what theyre doing.. Hell, I did a remote start install on a 95 Ciera with equipment from there.. Have them check the position of the Merc. switch (If one is being used.. Sometimes, they can get a little bent, causing the mercury to not sit level..)

hey stevezasycho

I wasn't cutting down ones that work at Best Buy's in general. I was refering to the guys that work on his car there. I'm sure that you may be very experienced. Its common that you will at many different places run into guys that are honestly inexperienced and do not know what they are doing. Unfortunately, sometimes the real goof ups or just not knowing what to do happens on customers cars like jdcutty's!!!! :( :( :(

SO DON'T WORRY I'M NOT CUTTING DOWN PEOPLE THAT INSTALL STARTERS AT BEST BUY! :)

And I wasn't CUTTING THEM DOWN, I was stating that they have a LACK OF EXPERIENCE! If ya meet the in person they may be cool guys but just don't know enough about what there doing.

Best regards to all,

David Hayes

I DON'T CUT

Now, I have taken it back to have them check it out. They said that it could possibly be a bad connection because everything else is working and he said that the VATS bypass was in, but I cleaned the connection at the fuse block and starter, and I still get nothin. All the lights come on, but the security light still flashes. I dont think that they put the bypass in cause when i orignally had it installed i only paid like 5 bucks for materials.

I really wanna kick em in the nuts. I just gotta find a black jump suit and an orange wig.