My own washer solvent formula

1BADVR4

I have gotten sick of washer solvent freezing on the windshild when you use it. I know the more expensive solvents have a higher content of alcohol to lower the freezing temperature but I question the higher price and if it is really worth it. There was even a product out there called Volcano juice that I think has since been discontinued. It was basically a $7 bottle of isopropyl alcohol.

I knew there was a better way so I went to the dollar store and bought 3 pints of isopropyl alcohol at a dollar a bottle. I bought the midgrade washer solvent and added a half a pint to a gallon of solvent. Man this stuff works great! One spray and it cuts right throught frost on the windshield and doesn't re-freeze in the 8 degree temps we've been having in the morning even at 50mph.

I just thought I would share my findings with everyone else. I can't really think of any downsides other than the fact that the washer solvent may be slightly more flammable than regular washer solvent. You can smell the alcohol vapors after you spray it if you're waiting at a light. I wonder if there are any dangers of combustion if somebody threw a cigarette out their window at the time that I sprayed the windshield.

um the most expensive stuff I've ever purchased has been like $4.50 and it's never frozen. I just purchased the same stuff (for cheaper) for my g/f's Mazda6 located in Chicago & it's working fine for her too over the past 2 weeks. :shrug:

um the most expensive stuff I've ever purchased has been like $4.50 and it's never frozen. I just purchased the same stuff (for cheaper) for my g/f's Mazda6 located in Chicago & it's working fine for her too over the past 2 weeks. :shrug:

I added this to the $1.99 stuff but you could potentially buy the .89 crap and add this .50 worth of alcohol to it and have a nice concoction. :D

what's the concentration? like 50/50?

Half pint of alcohol to 1 gallon of solvent.

if there's that little alcohol then it's effectively dilluted. overall, alcohol isn't great for your paint.

isopropyl alcohol where would i be without that stuff, i use it for cleaning everything (less some interior plastics) and it works WONDERS on cleaning windows without streaks.

isopropyl alcohol where would i be without that stuff, i use it for cleaning everything (less some interior plastics) and it works WONDERS on cleaning windows without streaks.

I bet you get one hell of a buzz while cleaning your car!!!

Haha, when I have straight water in my reserviour I've been known to put in some Methyl Hydrate when it starts freezing...that shit is bad for everything including the rubber hoses...but it works nicely against freeze up.

Also I use it as a cleaner to remove sticker residue, etc

mabie thats why i like to keep it clean inside :willynilly: but seriously i never got a buzz off it, and for the record when cleaning the car on a hot day, make sure you DO NOT get it confused with a bottle of water.

You could just use methanol. At my last job we mixed 1 part methanol 3 parts water in jugs and it would work great. If it ever did give a hint of frosting the windshield ya just add a bit more meth. until it's right. We used it in every car and truck in our fleet as well as a cup ful in every gas tank.

mabie thats why i like to keep it clean inside :willynilly: but seriously i never got a buzz off it, and for the record when cleaning the car on a hot day, make sure you DO NOT get it confused with a bottle of water.

:lol2: