Do I have the right thing or not?

3pt1lumina

Okay, I am going to replace the pass. front window in my 90 Lumina. It continues to fall to it's death because I am told that the clips break off. I got this from the j/y, however, I have no idea what these clips look like.

So, here's a picture of my new window. Does it have these "clips"?

100_3481.jpg

100_3483.jpg

Thanks 8)

NO!

Wrong, sorry...

The lumina has glue on clips. The clips you have on that piece of glass are correct. (Any other gen 1, 4 door will have the same clips btw, except for one I discovered that had an after market piece of glass that was thinner and cheaper.:?)

The front one will have an inner and outer lip.

The rear will only have an inner lip.

Make sure the lips are in good condition or it will pop out.

So as it stands right now based upon my pictures, will I be able to install this window and not have my problems of it falling to it's death? Mine right now just falls down into the door. It will come back up on it's own but won't go up or down straight.

To replace the 90-94 Lumina front window(or any GEN 1 four door front window), you'll have to take the panel off, and remove the metal and rubber strip at the top of the inner door which 'lean' against the window. Since the old window falls anyhow, just roll it down (reconnect switch), and it should virtually tilt out and release. But do not force, as on of the tabs may still be retaining it. I will use as old credit card to "ramp" the retainer out of it's groove. (1 for rear on the inner, and 2 for the front double retainer) wiggle the credit card(s) as deep as you can while you push and pull on the window. That should make it release. Sometimes if a window won't come out try moving it highter or lower and repeat.

If your window left behind a clip or got broken you need to clear all the window tracks. I suggest a pointed dowel or coathanger. Just make it clear. And If you find a loose clip. save it for a rainy day.

It is not necessary to remove the window regulator.

There is one roller on the track, with a retainer tab at the front and rear. To install the new glass you insert the glass into the door at an angle, making sure to get the roller into the track(this assumes window motor about 1/4 of the way down). Then tilt the glass straight(continue to make sure the roller doesn't leave the windows track). It would be a good idea to coat both retainer tabs with grease to allow them to snap in place, btw, and just firmly insert the window into place. There should be a satisfying snap at front and rear. Now check operation. place your hand to the rear of the window, and hold it down while you press "UP" (don't close it on your hand!!!!) Try to make the window move maybe an inch while resisting it, this should ensure that the window retainers are in place. Now test operation, it is critical that it stays on track up and down through it's full range. (if it pops loose, stop immediately! and try to straighten it again and force the clips in place) Ocassionally I have had to pinch the front window track to make it tighter near the lower end of it's range, as they often have spread from continuous use... it's a 'C' groove. And I just use my hand, no tools, do do this.

p.s. Lumina window switch plate plate removal is sometimes tricky, if you have never done so before. It's retainer tab is towards it's front. I often use a simple kitchen knife in the gap, or push the retainer tab from the underside to make it release. Hit the retainer tab and it should just about pop out. simple as that, don't pry up on it.

no problem. I can do this job in ten minutes... if I can find have all the tools before I start. lol good luck.

come do it for me :wink: I hate this just as much as I hate electrical things... I'll update of progress when I get to doing it.