Car died Need help please.

loominaz34

My car's apparently got a sense of humor. It died halfway through a turn on a busy street. I was able to coast off the road, onto another road with no shoulder. I tried cranking to no avail, It almost sounds like it tries to start every few cranks but no firing at all, no spark either. I think the problem is either my ICM or the crank position sensor. any other opinions or advice would be hugely appreciated.

No spark across all banks. Timing belt has less than 8000 milies on it. What does a CPS cost approximately? Also, where is it and how do I replace it? (any write up?) I'll go to autozone and see if they can test the ICM. Thanks You guys are saving christmas for me.

i'd start with a ICM, since thats not too bad to change out.

BUT i'd put my money on a crank sensor, to get that out on a LQ1/auto car you get to remove the alternator. aftermarket crank sensors run about $20 dollars, i my self prefer the delco crank sensors.

Any possiblity of cutting out the ICM? I really don't want to have to remove the alt. I can relocate the ICM If I absolutely have to but it's 6 degrees out and the skies are clear (colder weather is afoot) On the plus side, My grandfather insists on paying for the parts (no idea why.)

Any possiblity of cutting out the ICM? I really don't want to have to remove the alt. I can relocate the ICM If I absolutely have to but it's 6 degrees out and the skies are clear (colder weather is afoot) On the plus side, My grandfather insists on paying for the parts (no idea why.)

Honestly, I'm going to say that removing an alternator, is easier than coils/ICM. Its removing 3 bolts too, BUT they are MUCH easier to get too. I can't really say how hard it is to get to the ICM because my car has several modified cooling lines, so its quite easy to get to the coil pack on my car. The alternator is easy, just have to undo the battery or make sure the big red wire doesn't ground...obviously....

i'd start with a ICM, since thats not too bad to change out.

BUT i'd put my money on a crank sensor, to get that out on a LQ1/auto car you get to remove the alternator. aftermarket crank sensors run about $20 dollars, i my self prefer the delco crank sensors.

An AC Delco CPS cost me $60 2 1/2 yrs ago at my local chevy dealership for a L82. I don't know if it'd be more or less for the LQ1 CPS, since I'm assuming they might not be the same.

crankshaft position sensor.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=CSS7&parttype=762&ptset=A

from autozone: Wells SU 137

Or may you be talking about a Camshaft position sensor?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=CSS103&parttype=985&ptset=A

from autozone: Wells SU 1049