heater/vent

pbj59

After one of "those" weekends with the car, now the vents wont switch from floor to defrost or anything. This is on a 93 GP SE 3.1 and the water pump went out ( leak). No heat and the temp gauge showed hot, but I didnt drive that way, I parked it. This caused the belt to slip. That caused the gauges to come on intermitantly- check gauges, low coolant and some other light? Also the volt gauge would go from about 10v to 14v and back. The coolant leak from water pump caused belt to slip causing the gauges to do what they did do to low voltage. This is what the mechanic said.

He replaced the water pump and the gauges are all showing ok, no leaks etc. but now the heater wont switch from floor to defrost etc. actually it seems to be in between with some air coming out all vents- but wont switch. At least it is putting out SOME heat.

Took it back, I thought maybe a vacuum hose? Wrong! Now they are checking other stuff and waiting on a wiring diagram and who know what. Something about a fuse? I think they are good mechanics, I just wonder if anyone else has heard of this?

Thanks

RW

Does the cruise control work? There is a funky multiport check valve connection approximately below the master cylinder. On one of my cars this broke in half and gave me the symptoms you desribe. The heater controls are vacuum operated. On mine, this caused a loss of vacuum(and thus operation) of my cruise control as well. Have them check the vacuum lines that feed through there, as well as the ones that feed to a vacuum resevoir hidden below the front left bumper.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the heater is now fixed. I had them check the vacuum hoses etc. and they did find a leak- it was causing the cruise control to not work. But the switch module ( power head? ) was bad, basically the switches for ac, fan etc all in one unit. so a new one is in after $240.00 + $85.00 for the diagnostic and fixing the vacuum leak. At least it is possible to defrost now.

During all this now the passenger side seatbelt is stuck down (retracted) in the door and the same guy said I need a new one. He got one for $30.00 ( salvage) and will put it in for 1 hour labor, $39.00. So hopefully I wont have any probs for a while.

Have gotten attached to this, it's my spare car but cant get myself to let it go, so I keep fixing it. It is now needing rear brakes, rear exhaust and a turnsignal switch, and it will be good. I think there is an intake leak and I know of a small coolant leak (even after spending a fortune replacing the metal coolant lines under the hood). How far do you go taking care of these before I give it up? It has been a great car, I hate to abandon it in it's old age (93 gpse).

RW

well I am a do it yourselfer. So it only costs me the parts and my time. I would drive a good car until the earth opens up and swallows it.

If you were to get something new, it might have as many or worse problems, Although if it were a really new car.... it might be trouble free for a while.

Tell us about the coolant leak so we can help tell you how to fix it?

Guess I'm going to keep it. I'm in too deep now. That plus the body is in great condition, pretty much everything else works.

I will find out exactly what is leaking this week when I take it in to get the seat belt replaced.

I made a list of repairs needed on this car, which I am going to have done to restore it to it's former glory. :lol:

Replace rear brakes (calipers, rotors and pads, along with a new parking brake cable assembly which caused the whole problem

Exhaust, dual cat back with new tips

Replace the (leaking) intake gaskets

Replace broken turn signal switch

I never have much success repairing cars myself, there is always some trick or tool I dont have and ends up costing me more in the end. Like breaking off the steel bolt in the aluminum alternater case while adjusting the belt. I have that kind of luck.

Any suggestions on parts to get or avoid? I had the front brakes done last summer and put on ceramic pads ( I know, I know ) and the front wheels have never looked so clean. Before they were ALWAYS black from the brake dust. I have no problems with the ceramics, they work fine. But, this is not a car for racing- so they may not be for everyone.

After all this, the tranny will prob. go out next.

Thanks!

How far do you go taking care of these before I give it up? It has been a great car, I hate to abandon it in it's old age (93 gpse).

RW

You gotta do work yourself unless you got a fat wallet...