new starter question here, please help, i am in a bind

89BuickRegalGS

ok, i have an 89 buick regal with the 2.8 liter v-6 AND I AM BEGAINING TO HATE THE FreaKING THING

i have gotten the starter disconnected, but I can't get the freaking thing out of my car. HOW TEH HELL DO I DO THIS? I have wasted all day working on this and now I don't have any wheel s tonight cause my car is all stuck up on the curb where I have been working on it and I can't start it.

Guest Anonymous

What is in the way? If it's the a/c lines just push them out of the way. Try turning the starter until you can bring it down out longways.

Oh yeah, I edited your post for the language... :gone2far:

Once you remove all the bolts and screws on the starter its only a matter of moving it around so it will slide out, it took me a while to remove my but i did it so its not impossible. I remember i had a hard time removing it becuase it was getting stuck and there was barely enough room to move take it out but with a little patience i did it. Good luck and dont hate you car because of it.

Do you have an oil cooler on your regal? If so take the filter off and maby the inlet line to the cooler. Tell us what you can't do. Pull it back far enough to clear, got it clear but can't get it out of the chassis???

Do you have an oil cooler on your regal? If so take the filter off and maby the inlet line to the cooler. Tell us what you can't do. Pull it back far enough to clear, got it clear but can't get it out of the chassis???

Ok, if your looking form the front of the car towards the back, there is the oil filter to the left of the starter, and also something that looks like and O2 sensor. I can move the starter about 4 inches to teh left, but need about 2 more inches to rotate the right side of the starter out to slip it out and down. I can't pull it forward because the frame is right there. I might try taking it out the top today. But I am not sure its gonna clear. I kinda don't want to remove the oil filter if I don't have to. I just got an oil change 3 days ago, I don't own an oil filter wrench, can't afford one, can't afford an oil filter, and I can't afford oil! I have $50 in my bank left to buy the starter, and $8 in my pocket. And to make things even better!!: I need to get the car running by tuesday! I am going home to NJ for spring break, but now have to leave earlier because of a funeral.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

and to make things better, ITS STILL RAIN OUTSIDE!

Its like the car gods wanted to take a sh!t on me hahahaha

By taking of your filter can you get the starter out? If so you may be able to remove it by the filter by hand. If not fold over a piece of sand paper so the sand is on each side, wrap it around the filter and try and remove it. You wont loose that much oil at most 1/2 of a quart. The o2 senser is an oil pressure switch. Do you have the plastic flywheel cover off?

Starters are pretty easy to repair/rebuild if your brush holders haven't ruined the armature and you flywheel and drive are in good shape.

Do you have these lines below your filter? That stud to the right is the back of the starter.

http://photo.starblvd.net/~sleeperred90tgp/2-1-1.jpg?i=1048806127

YAY! i disconnected my dog bone struts and it gave me just enough play to get teh old starter out. For 39.99 and trhe exchange of my old starter, I got a duralast starter with solenoid and a lifetime waranty... now comes the fun job of getting the new one in!