Kevinsluminaeuro

alrighty well im really looking into buying a gtp, i was looking around and i can get a 97 with 40k miles for like $5000 so im really looking into it, what kinda problems should i look for when buying one?

97's and 98's in particular, watch out for electrical problems. Those years, you'll have cheaper insurance with them, because it was just an option package, GTP was, rather than an actual trim level. I'm sure others will chime in.

by electrical problems what do you mean specifically cuz this car has been garaged and only driven5,000 miles a year

i think there was a whole post about this topic, GM may have even acknowledged the problems too.

FWIW, I almost bought a '00 GTP with 60k miles for $7,000 before I bought my Bonneville. Unless that car is absolutely MINT, that's a horrible deal, especially for a '97.

I don't know what your talking about because my friend paid $4200 for a '97 with 96k on it. I thought he got a damn good deal.

About the electrical problems, my friend's GTP has been nothing but flawless. The previous owner replaced something with the electrical system but I don't know what exactly.

well even if it did get up to 5k it would still be a damn good deal in my eyes, i mean a 97 with only 44k. my moms cavalier is a 2002 and has 45k so i dont see where this car is expensive and as for electrical problems, ill just have to see how it goes if i get it. thanks guys

FWIW, I almost bought a '00 GTP with 60k miles for $7,000 before I bought my Bonneville. Unless that car is absolutely MINT, that's a horrible deal, especially for a '97.

I don't know what your talking about because my friend paid $4200 for a '97 with 96k on it. I thought he got a damn good deal.

About the electrical problems, my friend's GTP has been nothing but flawless. The previous owner replaced something with the electrical system but I don't know what exactly.

Well right now there is a guy on clubgp selling a '97 GTP with completely built bottom end, cam, headers, etc...., 3.29 gears, high stall convertor, built trans, etc... The car runs 13.1's on street tires and hes asking $7500 o.b.o. and is stressing that its very negotiable (so I'm guessing he'd take $6500 or maybe even a little less for it) and has had absolutely no bites on it. The engine has 10k on it, and the trans 5k, the body has 140k on it but it looks mint. Hes got some appearance mods done to it too. That seems like a good deal. $4200 for a '97 with 96k on it is about what they're worth. If I were gonna buy a '97 I wouldn't pay much over $3500 for it if it was stock. Its an 8 year old car.

Shawn

I'd rather have an Olds 88 LSS, but thats just me. Can anyone say SLEEPER? :twisted:

Shawn

holy crap.... me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

i thought i was the only one out of the L67 crowd to love the LSS

I'd rather have an Olds 88 LSS, but thats just me. Can anyone say SLEEPER? :twisted:

Shawn

Nope. Its always been my favorite L67 car by far. Next on the list would be the Regal, then probably Park Avenue Ultra, Riviera, Bonneville, Impala, Monte Carlo, and the GP would be last just because everyone knows about them. I don't think I forgot any, but I probably did...

SHawn

Shawn

Nope. Its always been my favorite L67 car by far. Next on the list would be the Regal, then probably Park Avenue Ultra, Riviera, Bonneville, Impala, Monte Carlo, and the GP would be last just because everyone knows about them. I don't think I forgot any, but I probably did...

SHawn

Not all LSS' are Supercharged though.

Not all LSS' are Supercharged though.

Yes, this I know. Thats another thing good about them, unless someone really knows LSS's well, they'll have no clue whether yours is a blown one or not. :twisted:

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

I payed $5500 for my '97 with 83K miles back in October of '04. I have most of the records from the previous owner (who beat the shit out of the car). Now I am paying for it, try to check the history of the car. Also, make sure to see if the P/S rack recall has been performed or not. If not, take it in to a REPUTABLE dealership. I've had the joy of my rack jaming up while turning left into my school parking lot after a local dealership "performed the recall repair procedure", no fun...

Also, I've noticed a few things. Some transmissions are stronger than others, a buddy of mine is pulling 13.7 1/4 times on his stock tranny with 180K miles. A lot of guys on Club L67, I mean Club GP** has had they're tranny last a lot longer than the majority. I guess it also depends on your driving behavior.

So be ready for anything.

My Grand Prix has had its fair share of electrical crap go wrong, but nothing TOO major. :lol:

You might just be better off getting a 99+ if you can.