Speedometer 20mph to high

89Cutlass

Anyone have any idea what could cause this, I have factory size rims and tires, The only thing i no is that the computer was changed. How can i fix this its really getting anoying?

see the thing is the guy that had the car before me had changed it and didnt no you only had to change the computer and not the mem-cal. Wonder what else i can do. Im sure thats what it is.

How would i no which one to get and were from, hey also does this mean that the wrong one is in my car right now ? could that mess other stuff up too.

You'd need to have the dealer get one for your 89 and also for that engine. If you have a 2.8L, I might have a spare 89 MEMCAL somewhere, but I misplaced them during the move so it might take me awhile to find it. My guess is you might have an '88 MEMCAL in that ECM. If you can take the top cover off the ECM and look at the part # on the MEMCAL, I could tell you for sure what year car it came out of.

You have to remove the ECM to get to the access cover, but you can leave it plugged in.

Here's a list of gm computers and what memcal goes with each motor.

You most likley have the 727 computer if its in the engine compartment 730 if its in side the car. Get one from the j/y I get them for about $25.00 but you gotta convince them that they can still sell the computer without the memcal.

http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/p4xref.html#1227727

1988-89 2.8 V6 PFI “W†LB6 (“W†body) Thats my engine.

So i guess its one of these

“Wâ€Â: AMAS, APWM, ATRA, …

Ill pull it out of the car today its raining hard right now

I have a complete computer out of a 88 Cutlass Supreme available if you want just the memcal. If your interested, I will pull the chip #. (I think it is an ASWA or ASHA or something like that.)

NeonHomer

I might be interested as soon as i find out which chip i have installed right now is the right one or not. Could you get the ID of the chip for me and let me know which one it is. THanks

APWK is the correct MEMCAL for an '89.

Is it possible the transmission has been changed?

You might see if you can ID the tranny. I think it may have a VIN plate on the bottom of it near where the right CV shaft comes out.

If it has a 1988 tranny, you'll need a speed-density updated MEMCAL for an '88.

Also you could try a new cluster. My speedo was way too high and the new cluster fixed it.

This shouldn't be a factor on an electronic digital cluster.