Lumina Gauge pinouts for swapping

Crazy K

This should be put in FAQ

This is to substitute a 1991 euro cluster with oil pressure gauge in place of a regular cluster. The project vehicle is a 1992 lumina sedan. However, I have also dismanlted the oil-gauge less cluster and input the info I discovered on it as well. The info here can help you to make any lumina cluster work.

Info: I don’t know if the 90-94 base clusters are identical, please check this against your wiring, before you start.

90 and 91 Euro clusters have oil gauges, 92-94 have voltmeters. This may be an exception for Z-34, I believe they may keep the oil gauge for all years.

I repinned my own connector. with practice and a good narrow jewelers screw driver it's quite easy. Just remeber to tweek the lock tangs to ensure they lock when you reinsert. I would snatch an extra instrument cluster adapter before starting and prcitce depinning and reinstalling. I emptied a connector and transfered the wires one by one, so I wouldn't get confused.

Additionally, this swap requires a new temp and oil pressure sender (if oil gauge cluster) in place of the original switch. The sensor harness connectors are identical. Remember that you have to order one from a 90 or 91 since 92 up 3.1 luminas don't use a sender. Remeber the sender is about twices as long as the switch.

The top row is C, bottom row is D and they go 1-16, left to right.

For the Base Cluster

First number is the base cluster location. Then the wire color and description. The last number is where it has to be moved to in the euro cluster harness.

C1 NC

C2 NC

C3 Pink/Black - Ignition Power D4/D11

C4 Yellow/Black - Low Coolant C16

C5 Tan/White - Brake Light D13

C6 Brown –BATTERY INDIC C15

C7 Dark Green - Coolant Temp C7

C8 NC

C9 Black - Ground C2/D6

C10 Brown/White - Engine Light D16

C11 NC (low fuel if equipped)

C12 Light Grn/Blk - Antilock D13

C13 Purple - Fuel guage C5

C14 NC

C15 NC (low oil, if equipped)

C16 Light Blue - Left Turn signal C9

D1 Tan - Oil Pressure Indicator C13

D2 Yellow - Seat Belts C11

D3 NC

D4 NC

D5 NC

D6 NC

D7 NC

D8 Gray – backlighting C3

D9 NC

D10 NC

D11 NC

D12 Black - Ground C2/D6

D13 Dk Grn – Speedometer D5

D14 NC

D15 Dk Blue - Right turn signal D1

D16 Light Green - High Beams D2

Ok, here is the pinout for the Euro's fully instrumented cluster.

First number is the base cluster location. Then the wire color and description.

C1 NC (Tan/Blk? ie shift indicator if equipped?)

C2 Black - Ground

C3 Gray – backlighting

C4 NC

C5 Purple - Fuel Level

C6 NC

C7 Dark Green - Coolant Temp

C8 NC

C9 Light Blue - Left Turn Signal

C10 NC

C11 Yellow - Seat Belts

C12 NC

C13 Tan - Oil Pressure Indicator(NC if no guage on 92+)

C14 NC

C15 Brown - Charge Indicator

C16 Yel/Blk - Low Coolant

D1 Dk Blue - Right Turn Signal

D2 Light Grn - High Beams

D3 NC (Tan/Blk? - Shift Indicator if equipped?)

D4 Pink/Blk - Ignition Power

D5 Dark Green - Speedometer

D6 Black – Ground

D7 NC

D8 NC

D9 White - Tach Wire

D10 NC (this is the oil light position if no guage on 92+)

D11 Pink/Blk - Ignition Power

D12 NC

D13 Tan/Wht - Brake indicator

D14 NC

D15 Lt Grn/Blk – Antilock

D16 Brn/Wht - Engine Light

KEY:

NC= no connection, no wire was present, if there is an optional light I listed it. (ie shift if equipped)

For (C3 Pink/Black - Ignition Power D4/D11) this power wire must be spit to have a second wire , as the base cluster has one socket and the full guage cluster has two.

For the tach, (D9 White - Tach Wire) this wire is absent from within the car. I discovered that the tack wire is a small gauge white wire in the harness that meets the firewall behind the alternator. It does not continue past there into the body. Open up this wire loom and you’ll discover bunch of wires. Only about 5 are small gauge, and the white wire will be obvious. Link it from there and run it inside the car to the cluster. Be sure not to have it run where it will not get damaged and shorted.

Euro cluster C13 and D10 positions are two possible locations for the oil pressure wires. C13 in for the guage, D10 for the idiot light. This is the only know difference I have found between the two types of clusters.

This is a possible difference, I didn't track this info very well, but Euro cluster D1 and C3 (ie Tan/Blk? ie shift indicator if equipped?) either appear to be possible locations where a manual trans car would have up-shift, or down-shift indicators. I didn't have a year break down for these, sorry.

One last issue, some pins actually are identical to other pins, so a wire could be in a slightly different position (ie C7 instead of D7, fake example) this issue is usually the same number pin but different letter (ie C7=D7, or D13=C14, fake examples) This is visible on the back of the circuit board as the circuit line will run through both pins.

-Ken

I've done some editing to clarify and correct the info contained.