Keyless Remotes

Redfox340

What's more important to finding a new remote:

- the remote model number?

- or the FCC frequency?

I came acoss a stash of GM keyless remotes and before purchacing them I'd like to know if they would work with my system. Also, do all Gen I remotes work with all different W-Body models? Cutlass to Grand Prix; Cutlass to later Cutlass or vise versa...? Thanks for the help!

- RedFox340

Remotes that will work have "TRW" on the back and the button layout like this:

LOCK UNLOCK

TRUNK

They are rectangular. The round GM remotes will NOT work. Rectangular GM remotes with a differerent button layout will NOT work.

TRUNK can also say REAR and will still work.

Any rectangular GM remote with TRW on it and the proper button layout will work, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, etc.

Interestingly enough, even Ford TRW remotes will work. The 4-button TRW remote that came with my mom's '94 Lincoln Mark VIII also works.

don't be bringing up the lincolns man, you know how that asshole sold his GP cause lincolns are soooo much better.... right

Shawn, did you block those posts?

Yeah, those posts are locked.

I forget the name he went by on here, but when I deleted his account, he sent me an insult-laden personal email under the name "Jeff Kantor".

Lucky for me, he sent that to me on a Sunday night and I'm always in a horrible and irritable mood Sunday nights. So not thinking straight, I tried to get even but one of the mods put a stop to that right away. :lol:

Remotes that will work have "TRW" on the back and the button layout like this:

LOCK UNLOCK

TRUNK

They are rectangular. The round GM remotes will NOT work. Rectangular GM remotes with a differerent button layout will NOT work.

TRUNK can also say REAR and will still work.

Any rectangular GM remote with TRW on it and the proper button layout will work, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, etc.

Interestingly enough, even Ford TRW remotes will work. The 4-button TRW remote that came with my mom's '94 Lincoln Mark VIII also works.

frontkey.jpg

backkey.jpg

don't be bringing up the lincolns man, you know how that asshole sold his GP cause lincolns are soooo much better.... right

We dont need to get that asshole started up again :twisted:

GnatGoSplat,

THANK YOU! I'm so close to gettting my Keyless working once again!

Ismellrealbad,

Ah, thanks for the pictures... I knew I was close but didn't know how close! Thanks again to all!

We dont need to get that asshole started up again :twisted:

well, considering nobody has posted about it until now! Almost like everyone WANTS it to happen again! Because I can argue about Lincoln too, I like the Mark 8, so everyone will criticize me for that because of a thread? Come on now...

well, considering nobody has posted about it until now! Almost like everyone WANTS it to happen again! Because I can argue about Lincoln too, I like the Mark 8, so everyone will criticize me for that because of a thread? Come on now...

oh, i like the M VII Lincolns myself. I had an Aunt that would buy a new one every year. She always kept the "old one" (only a year old) for another year after she bought the new one so she would have 2 hat the same time. They were pretty cars, very comfortable and luxury. That asshole that posted here bashing GPs and W-bodies in general though acted as if they were the best performance car in teh world. I wanted to beat his fuckin.. well, I won't go there, but damn he was an ass!

Speaking of keyless remotes, how much would you have to invest to install keyless on a car without (doors and trunk)? I had a '96 Caravan with 197k before the tranny gave up the ghost. There where only two things I liked about the minivan: you could get in and out easy and it had keyless. I wouldn't mind spending a weekend to do it, but a week's pay, no.

Thanks,

Timo

Installing an aftermarket one is no big deal and could be accomplished in an afternoon. Or maybe even faster if you do a quick & dirty install with scotch locks and crimp connectors.

A factory one would be a little more of a trick because it has fancy features like progressive unlocking.

• 3 weeks later...

Success! :mrgreen: I've got it working... after four junkyard modules and locating a cheap / working remote, I don't have to use my keys to get into my car. Thanks GnatGoSplat and Ismellrealbad for the information and help, much appriciated! :worship:

- RedFox340