i can't get into my STE

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i think this car hates me as much as i hate it :lol:

ok. right now neither of the front door handles work. the passenger side front door handle didn't work when i bought the car, and i had to pull up really far on the driver's door handle to open that one. now the driver's door handle won't work at all just like the passenger side. on top of that, the rear doors are locked, and the battery is disconnected so i can't ground the RKE to make the locks cycle. of course, the hood is shut so i can't get into there so i can connect the battery.

i can open the trunk, but the rear pass-thru won't open from inside the trunk :?

any one have any ideas short of breaking something?

i can open the trunk, but the rear pass-thru won't open from inside the trunk :?

Push it hard enough.. it'll give and open up.

Agreed, broken pass-thru is much cheaper than a broken window

Guest TurboSedan

cool, that worked and it didn't even break. i got the rear door unlocked by crawling into the trunk and using a long jack handle to push the rear door lock open. now to test fit my rebuilt crossover pipe (which i pretty much already know won't work :roll: )

thanks Shaun :)

Guest TurboSedan
im trying for shane, lol but its hard. ill get him soon enough for ya josh. if not before at christmas since hell be at his parents about 2 min from my house

cool. i just test-fit the rebuilt crossover pipe i just bought and sure enough it won't work. the rear manifold and turbo support bracket bolt up into place, but the front outlet is far from being in the right place. i'm going to have to have this thing re-rebuilt.

Guest TurboSedan
Josh, does your pass thru fold all the way down or does the console lid need to be opened?

yes i seen it. i had to go back out to my car and check before i could give you an answer though. the rear center fold down has to be down so you can access the latch for the trunk pass-thru. mine wasn't down, but by forcing the pass-thru open from inside the trunk i pushed the center console down a little. i then had to reach inside and push the center console the rest of the way down before i could open the pass-thru the rest of the way open. hope that makes sense.

You can open the hood from the outside. It's a huge pain the ass trying to find the latch to push on but I've been doing it for the past month or so with the TSTE. Gotta replace that damn hood cable.. just glad I already have another one.

Josh, If you want to fix those outside door handles, you need to take the door panel off and bend the actuator rod from the handle to the latch. THey are bent from the factory, and over time (and icy winters) they get bent even more until you have to pull up really hard on the handle to open the door, then you start breaking handles.

The exact thing happened to my TSTE last winter, I was trying to get the icy pass door open, then when everything thawed out in a few weeks, I couldn't get the pass door open. Pulled the door panel off, bent that rod a little bit straight, and it opens like new. I was going to do the same on your car, but as you probably know, time was a major factor, and mechanicals were my main concern.

Good luck,

You'll love it again after it's smokin Mustang GT's :mrgreen:

Guest TurboSedan
Josh, If you want to fix those outside door handles, you need to take the door panel off and bend the actuator rod from the handle to the latch. THey are bent from the factory, and over time (and icy winters) they get bent even more until you have to pull up really hard on the handle to open the door, then you start breaking handles.

The exact thing happened to my TSTE last winter, I was trying to get the icy pass door open, then when everything thawed out in a few weeks, I couldn't get the pass door open. Pulled the door panel off, bent that rod a little bit straight, and it opens like new. I was going to do the same on your car, but as you probably know, time was a major factor, and mechanicals were my main concern.

Good luck,

You'll love it again after it's smokin Mustang GT's :mrgreen:

cool, i was hoping you'd reply here. i remember you saying something about how to do it. i have a door trim puller, i just need to wait for a nice day! since Thanksgiving it has been cold as fuck here :?

btw, got a new (used) TGP turbo for this STE. this new turbo has hardly any shaft play...but i need to get a broken bolt removed from the turbine (downpipe flange). got this new crossover pipe too with new SS flex bellows like my Cutlass crossover pipe uses, but whoever had it rebuilt didn't have any regard for fitment....they brought the pipe to an exhaust shop without the car to use as a 'jig' (big mistake). there is a good exhaust shop here that's done a ton of work for my brother and i, and hopefully i can bring the STE to them soon to have the crossover pipe chopped up and fixed. actually, i'm really hoping RedZ (Shane) can rebuild the pipe for me. he did an excellent job on the crossover pipe that is in my Cutlass right now. the STE should run great after i get the new pipe and turbo in. i got a new accumulator and am fixing the rear brakes now, so hopefully i can drive this thing soon!

Yeah, make sure you have a set of Torx bits handy. I got all of my clips released and totally missed seeing a torx bit in the middle of the door pointing almost downwards from the arm rest.

I think it was a T45 or so.

I bought a Snap On door panel tool, and it's the best $20 I've spent in a while. P/N was like A177

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12812&group_ID=1793&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Well, maybe it was more than $20, I just make the payments. :lol: