Auto power window.

PeNZ

So it seems my car has an automatic power window on the drivers side. I pulled up to an atm the other day pressed the button and the window went down by itself?? I didnt know our cars had an auto drivers window.

I also confermed this wasnt a freak power window thing. Because it does it everytime.

Has anyone else noticed that there 94-96 has an auto window, or am I just retarded and just found it out now after having it a year.

Even my '92 CS has an auto driver window :lol:

supposedly the convertibles have a master auto down switch for all the windows? Ive never heard of it on here though, only seen it in the service manual.

my CS has the auto down driver's window, and it says on the switch.

On our convertible, if you hit both of the rear window switches at the same time, all 4 windows roll down by themselves!

my CS has the auto down driver's window, and it says on the switch.

On our convertible, if you hit both of the rear window switches at the same time, all 4 windows roll down by themselves!

Isn't it sweet!!

89 has auto for driver side (labeled)

vert has for all (labeled)

Maybe your label wore off????

Maybe it used to say AUTO, but that part got rubbed off?

I know on my Cutlass, where it says "AUTO" is just painted on.

It's kind of overly complicated on the older W-bodies.

On my Cutlass and Grand Prix, it has an actual solenoid that kicks in a little stopper thing that physically holds the button down. To stop it, just force the switch the other way.

My truck has a smarter, fully electronic version. Tap once quickly, the window will go all the way down. It can be stopped simply by pressing the down button again. Press and hold, then it will release as soon as you release the button. It's fully electronic with no moving parts.

Both my cavi and gtp have the auto down. You just push it a little and it will go down and stop when you let go of the button. If you push it all the way down and hold for a second the window will go all the way down.

My Beretta has the auto down feature. The switch actually sticks in the down position until the window is all the way down. WHen I first bought the car I was tearing the switch apart thinking that there was dried up soda/pop in it causing it to stick. Then I read my owners manual.

My 90 TSTE has the auto down too. :mrgreen:

The GM insider term for this feature is "DWAD" (Driver Window Auto Down, pronounced "dee-wahd.") The company I used to work for made these modules for Delphi, for what I assume was for various GM vehicles.

Every car that I've had with DWAD has 2 positions on the "Down" side of the switch. Move the switch a tiny bit and the window will function normally, stopping when you let up. Move (or press if it's a rocker) the switch all the way and it activates the DWAD.

Not so sure when this type of DWAD came into service (my company didn't make the modules 'till 96) but my 92 LeSabre had it, as does my buddy's 93 Ciera...

On my Cutlass and Grand Prix, it has an actual solenoid that kicks in a little stopper thing that physically holds the button down. To stop it, just force the switch the other way.

I remember disassembling my door panel and finding a little trailing box from my window switches, connected by a wiring harness. I think that was probably the DWAD doodad. (Say "DWAD doodad" ten times fast! :lol: )

My truck has a smarter, fully electronic version. Tap once quickly, the window will go all the way down. It can be stopped simply by pressing the down button again. Press and hold, then it will release as soon as you release the button. It's fully electronic with no moving parts.

and the windows in your truck are bcm-controlled, right? i'm wondering how hard it would be to get a switch that has auto down for both windows and make it work.

like maybe get the bcm out of a cavi or something andhook up the windows? which gm cars have driver and pass. auto down?

and the windows in your truck are bcm-controlled, right? i'm wondering how hard it would be to get a switch that has auto down for both windows and make it work.

like maybe get the bcm out of a cavi or something andhook up the windows? which gm cars have driver and pass. auto down?

Nope, my truck predates the BCM-controlled windows. Those were 03+ and mine's a 99. The autodown is built into the main circuit board of the power window switch. It wouldn't be hard to make it work, but attempting to liberate that circuitry from the switch would be kind of clunky.

The convertibles have driver and pass (all 4-windows actually) auto down and it's fully electronic so it could be retrofit into anything. I'm not sure where the module is, but I think I looked it up once and it may be in the driver side kickpanel.

Clifford SmartWindows II (and DEI has something similar) would probably be better if you can get it. It has auto down AND auto up for 2 windows. The Clifford version works similar to my truck in that a tap makes it auto, 2nd tap cancels, and press and hold makes it manual.

i don't car much if i have auto up. and i wouldn't be taking a switch apart, i'd be using the whole thing and replacing mine. while i was doingmy interior swap i moved my power locks and windows to the center console, so it doesn't matter what switch i use.

My truck just has it in the driver side so that switch panel isn't going to do what you want.

The module from the convertible is your best bet, but it's a fully electronic solution so no modification needed to your switches, just bunches of wiring.

My CS vert has auto down on all, but I haven't really used it... I will have to try the both rear switches at the same time sometime!

On both my parents 95 ciera and a neighbors, I deleted the auto window down feature, as on these cars it proved a nuisance. I never located the module, but it under/behind the dash, and someone else may try chasing the wires to find it if they want...

but my neighbors complaint and mine is that it would be difficult to make the window do what you want... becaus it was totally automatic. (no double detent for down then autodown) You couldn't crack the window, it would move 6 inches rapidly before it responded to you flicking the switch to stop it.

AND the sauto down meant that there were four extra wires running through the extremely constricted wire loom in the doorjamb of the car (2 from the switch to the auto down module, and 2 return feed wires that run to the motor, and wires in this doorjamb often break), so the added benefit is I got to rip these excess wires out and thereby cause less stress on the wire harness. -ken

Maybe it used to say AUTO, but that part got rubbed off?

I know on my Cutlass, where it says "AUTO" is just painted on.

Oh it was just painted on? And not lit up? Cuz if it was lit up and worn off I could still tell if it was there or not.

Oh it was just painted on? And not lit up? Cuz if it was lit up and worn off I could still tell if it was there or not.

I really don't know, just guessing at this point.

In my truck, it's lit up. In my Cutlass, it's just painted on and doesn't light up.