Canada

mdl8767

not sure, but the majority of the monte and lumina's were made in canada!

All of them where made in Canada.

I looked into it, you need to prove the car meets safety/emissions requirements for the US. Most cars (at least GM's) have this on the emissions sticker under the hood. Otherwise you need written consent from the manufacture that it is safe here.

It's not all that hard. I did it the opposite way with my buddy bringin a '69 lincoln from cincinatti

all depends on your state.

You will need things like proof of payment (tax purposes), all the insurance requirements, i do believe you have to fax copies of all the documentation to the border u will be crossing 4 or 5 days prior to your arrival at the border. Contact your DMV for info on it, im sure they can provide you with all the necessary info.

Canada = snow = salt. Lots of it.

Most Canadian cars are rustbuckets. There are exceptions, but generally it's better to get a car from further south, not north!

Depends where. Ontario seems to be the worst, and British columbia is the best, seeing as how there it is usually above freezing all the time, so there is no need for salt. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba arent too bad. Unless its from ontario, they are all a lot better than the cars that are driven in the rust belt. But yea, if possible, further south would be the best way to go.

Sorry Gnat,

No salt in edmonton, alberta. They use sand. My 89 is in way better condition than the vert from cleveland. I hope he didnt drive it in winter.

Even in the junkyard the w-bodys look great!

Sorry Gnat,

No salt in edmonton, alberta. They use sand. My 89 is in way better condition than the vert from cleveland. I hope he didnt drive it in winter.

Even in the junkyard the w-bodys look great!

Sometimes I wish we would use salt. That corner on 23rd and 85th is a great time at anything over 20km/h :lol: Thank god for my new traction T/A's

If you take care of the car in the heavily salted areas (such as Buffalo) you can control the rust. I keep the under side juicy with oil and put silver anti seaze on the bottom of my doors (turns into a greasy mud when it gets wet and doesnt come off). Plenty of wax is a must too, I wax my car once a month in the winter. I don't care if its 5 degrees out and there is a blizzard forcasted. I think of it as a functional waxing.

But to stay on topic, I have heard of people who trailer cars across the border that they disconnect the fuel lines and the connections to the motor and keep the stuff in the trunk. That way they are moving the car as parts, not a motor vehical.

Huh, I didn't think they used sand instead of salt. I can't really imagine that being very effective!

You'd be surprised. Actually works relatively well. The city usually gets on the ball for the first 3 snowfalls then abandons ship afterwards. Ever drive on a gravel road in the snow? Much easier that some slick pavement. Sure the rock chips really cause some damage in the spring, but thats what insurance is for!

It's not all that hard. I did it the opposite way with my buddy bringin a '69 lincoln from cincinatti

all depends on your state.

You will need things like proof of payment (tax purposes), all the insurance requirements, i do believe you have to fax copies of all the documentation to the border u will be crossing 4 or 5 days prior to your arrival at the border. Contact your DMV for info on it, im sure they can provide you with all the necessary info.

For a car that old the rules are different. Half the requirement are waved.

You will need a bill of sale along with insurance info. Ownership of course which will be checked on the border if the car is allowed to enter the country. Some cars can't like GTO can't come into Canada, I am sure there are those that can't come to US. You will be paying several taxes on the car. I believe there is the import tax and there are 2 more fees which I don't recall, 1 has something to do with car having air conditioner and the other has something to do with registration.

Oh shit, we totally jacked this thread.

I just did the oposite export from us.

All i can say is do your homework. Check the us customs page for information on this. THey should have documentation on there website.

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm

http://www.customs.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/trade/iius.ctt/iius.pdf

Also check canada sites for info on exporting vehicles.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/export/documentation-e.html

READ READ READ and give the border port notice.