Condensation in trunk, need some advice

Grand Moff Joseph

I opened my trunk today to put some things in it, and I noticed that most of the inside of the trunk lid was covered in frost. (WTF) Upon further inspection, I found that a piece of cardboard that I have had in the trunk has started to grow some mold :shock: (gross, I know, but I usually don't haul stuff in the trunk)

About eight months ago, I replaced my original trunk lid with one that had a factory Euro spoiler on it. At the time, I lso replaced the rubber seal around the trunk lid. So far, the car has been through rain, sleet and snow, and has never leaked at all. So, what gives?? Is there something wrong that I'm not seeing?

As always, advice is appreciated. :)

Thanx!

GMJ

Yeah, I get condensation in my runk sometimes too. It's normal, some baby powder should help that though.

In your runk, eh? Sounds like baby powder won't fix that... :lol:

/sorry, I had to

sounds like youve got more than a condensation problem. i believe there are quite a few threads on leaking trunks. the best stuff to use is 3M Heavy-Duty Drip-Check Sealant. It can be found here (12th product down): http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/automotive-refinishes/3M_AutomotiveRefinishes.html

So, how do you apply this stuff, and what is it supposed to do? (check for leaks or plug them)

My umina does that as well. Actually, the frost is QUITE thick sometimes. In spring everything thaws out and I have to let the trunk die out good and proper lol....I thight I was the only one though lol

When I used to drive my Lumina through the winters, it would do this BAD. I'd let it go until spring then just leave the trunk open for a day or so in the sun.

However, my trunk leaks all the time. I've learned to ignore it and just pay attention to what I'm putting in there. Even washing the car will soak everything in there. It's either the back window leaking or my weatherstripping is really bad. Don't know, don't really care. The car barely even gets wet anymore.

youll have to see if and what seem(s) are leaking by spraying water in to the wheel wells at all angles with everything out of the trunk. then, if you find something, put that over it. its the best stuff to use on automotive seems because the metal panels move frequently.

I just got the car undercoated last month, so would that have affected anything?

IMO, I would think that the black undercoating would cover any seam breaks... :?:

if theres a seem problem, it probably would have helped at first, but probably wouldve cracked over time. if you got the wrong kind of undercoat, it could actually make it worse and hold water.

I had the undercoating done at Ziebarts. I asked to make sure, and they do use the good stuff for their undercoating jobs.

Before the coating was applied, the bottom of my car was given a 'chemical bath' to remove gunk and other dirt buildup, and after the car was dry, they applied the black undercoating. The guys at the shop were very nice and professional, and said that they inform customers if they see any obvious leaks before applying the undercoating.

The thing is, I've powerwashed the car numerous times, and never had a problem. In fact, I went into the trunk the day after it snowed here last week, and had no frost on the inside.

ARG, stupid GM body seals... :bash:

good luck finding it. just use a garden hose so you dont powerwash the undercoating off. :lol: you might not be able to do anything about it though

i dont think there is. i drilled a hole to get the water out when i had leaks. i would do that so you can unplug it if the well fill up. the tailights leak sometimes too

I don't know about Luminas, but Cutlass and Grand Prix's almost always leak through the taillights.

On my car, I sealed up the taillights and also went an extra step of collecting every little dessicant bag I find. You know, those little packets that come with electroncs, some instant meals, and other things that say, "DESSICANT, DO NOT EAT". I have a whole bunch of those chucked in with my spare tire and it never gets moist in there anymore.

I don't know about Luminas, but Cutlass and Grand Prix's almost always leak through the taillights.

On my car, I sealed up the taillights and also went an extra step of collecting every little dessicant bag I find. You know, those little packets that come with electroncs, some instant meals, and other things that say, "DESSICANT, DO NOT EAT". I have a whole bunch of those chucked in with my spare tire and it never gets moist in there anymore.

You mean I wasn't supposed to eat those!? :shock: :lol:

Seriously though, I never thought of that before. I'll see if I can start collecting them as well...it can't make things any worse. :)