CS HUD question. From 94 CS want to put in 91

Crazy K

I just bought it today, so..... here goes....

questions I need help with.

I notice the 94 owner's manual shows the hud and controls only in cars with a center console... as they were mounted below the extended ashtray, are they only on cars with a center console? and does this affect all years?

In CS's that have no HUD, but where they were optional, is there a hidden harness sometimes? I heard yes for GP's after all

the cars in question are:

1995 CS (theretically offered but not produced, I've learned)

1994 CS sedan (w/o center console)

1991 CS conv (w center console and dash fitment identical to 94)

and if there is a harness, where would it be?

Also the 94 will have a check guages light, but the 91 won't, so I'll either make a circuit so select 91 warning lights will turn the check gauge light on, or disconnect it..

I have full wiring diagrams for the 94 HUD, as well as all the controls and enough wire harness, if needed, btw.

An help you may have would be appreciated by this mad man. thanks :lol:

you can use the extended center stack on cars without consoles. My DIS came from a '91 CS 4-door that had a bench seat, column shifter, and base cluster. You would just need to change the lower panel to do so.

Your car will only have a HUD harness if it is the proper year of the HUD (i think '91 had the other style but i could be wrong) AND it has auto climate control. My '94 did not have ANY HUD wiring. If it has it it will reside behind the storage cubby and also behind the gauge cluster.

Thanks.

The 91 CS has auto climate control, so maybe some of the necesary wiring will be there, so I can splice into it to use my 94 HUD. If I ever find a correct one I can swap them out quick, and put the 94 in a different car!

I agree that the stacks can be installed if necesary... I should have grabbed the one i saw that would have fit my bros car, but they crushed it already :(

btw, the optional digital display in 88-91 CS, which mounts right below the ashtray, would be a perfect fill for the left portion of the opening whose right side will be inhabited by the hud controls.

OK, does anyone know the year and compatablity for the CS huds(and will GP huds be identical? As well as what years they were made?

How much have you guys paid for huds, usually?

Does this include what they display? The mounting will be the same, but IIRC, the 91 doesn't have a check guages light. but that may be the only difference.

Anyone with a factory 91 or 92 know? (did they make a 90, 89, or 88? I know they put one in the 1988 pace car CS faux convertible, but that would be a 'prototype')

I thought they all displayed the same exact info (GPs and CSs, any years). On the newer HUDs, the image got a little smaller though. (newer gen 1 HUDs, I mean, not '97+)

I paid $40 for my HUD but had to customize my own dash pad to get it in. I would also take the hud apart and carefully clean the mirrors and display before installing. I think i also have to clean the contacts on my dimmer switch because its rather dim.

My car has the DIS next to the HUD switch...looks so factory, its sweet lol.

My car has the DIS next to the HUD switch...looks so factory, its sweet lol.

Thats what I would like! :D Great minds think alike!

And I appreciate the info everyone!

If I can find a CS with the auto climate controls(without HUD) at the J/Y I'm going to see if it is pre-wired, get some extra connectors, and start pre-assembly in the hopes of getting another hud or 3.....

As for the 95+ CS, I still will need to learn about them. Any tips from anyone?

Also, does anyone know about the 'Huges' logo that the earliest HUD had, such as the 88 CS pacecar?

I paid $35 for mine, btw

Sweet! :drool: I did see that pic on another thread talking about DIS's, I realized while pulling the HUD control that the opening would coordinate perfectly!

BTW on the donor 94 it has the eng/met switch that goes with the HUD mounted there on the console in front of the shifter. I bring this up because I don't see it in your pic. (I know if you leave it out is stays on mph.) Since my vert has the DIC with a ENG/MET switch built in, does the 91 HUD get it's eng/metric set from the DIC's switch?

Also, does anyone know about the 'Huges' logo that the earliest HUD had, such as the 88 CS pacecar?

Hughes Aircraft was ( and still is ) a subsidiary of GM. Since HUD is originally aircraft technology, it only makes sense that Hughes had a part in the development of the automotive version.

yeah you can wire it in to the DIS's Eng/Metric switch...I just left it out since i was doing custom wiring and didnt care about KPH

btw is this the 90 or 94 you pictured? and is it w or w/o auto climate controls?

Assuming mine(car not here) has the factory HUD wires, It might hook right up without any wiring needing redone... but It'd be nice to make it work having one master switch.

Thanks for the Hughes logo info. Any chance anyone might have a pic?

its my '94 CS Coupe...the '90 would also have a feed for E/M from the UB3 instrument cluster...the '90 we have is pretty basic

My CS coupe does not have auto climate. I had to do all the wiring myself to get it to work for both of the units...I had to tap in at the gauge cluster, and run a feed to the ALDL line for the DIS