Dimming mirrors

kfahn

I dont know if they were stock but they are easy to install, i got one from Oldsmobile Toronado and about to install in my 88 CS and all you got there is 3 wires, one for ground, ignition and hot wire thats all.

It was not an option, and they're not very hard to install. I have installed 4 so far. The connector is different, so you'll need a new wiring pigtail. If your new autodimming mirror has maplights, there's up to 5 wires to connect:

ORG - +12V hot at all times (connect to stock wiring, for maplights)

BLK - GND (connect to stock wiring)

WHT - Negative trigger for domelight (connect to stock wiring)

BRN - +12V switched (run new wire, splice into output side of CLUST fuse)

GRN - Reverse light input (splice into LT-GRN wire at bottom right of dash)

These are the most common wire colors I see, although I did have one mirror that lacked the Reverse Light Input and had a GRN wire for the domelight input. The reverse light input just disables autodimming in reverse so the mirror doesn't darken when backing out of your garage.

On my cars, the stock harness has all black wires, so you'll need a multimeter or test light to sort them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Impala if you want one with map lights.

Intrigue if you want one with map lights + compass.

Pretty much any Cadillac or Chevy/GMC truck or SUV if you want one with compass only.

there was a bonneville SSEi at the yard i was at yesterday. would that possibly have it? i think it was like a 96 or so.

i suppose since i am going back for the back seat from that one cutty tomorrow i can just take a few and look through the GM cars there.

Monty

Possible! The autodimming mirrors with maplights are a bit harder to find and the autodim + maplights + compass are even more rare.

BTW, the one I have in my truck has autodim + compass + temp, if you want temperature you might want to look for one of those. They'd be in newer 01+ trucks and SUV's.