What can i fit in my trunk?

colwell

What should i put in my trunk?  

1. 1. What should i put in my trunk?

• 4 moderately poewered 12's
    • 3 above moderately powered 12's
    • 2 high powered 12's
    • 2 high powered 15's

im partial to 10's. 2 10s=good. i like the way any 10 sounds over 12s. 12s may hit harder but 10s just give so much more quality, deeper, nicer, clearer sounding bass imo. or maybe im retarded :?:

I think you got it backwards. 10s punch really hard especially with 2, 12s punch but have more base response and reproduce low rumbling/thunder type bass better, and 15s dont have quite as much puch but are deafening when it comes to low sound waves.

My favorite are 12s but thats a personal preferance. My resoning is they stilol leave enough room in the trunk and give the best of both worlds. 8) My friend has two competition 10s in his civic hatchback and they will pound the hell out of you :twisted: so whatever you like.

Sealed boxes are the only way to go (especially if you dont have to much of an amp). Ported boxes let too much of the sound go to waste in the trunk airspace. Underpowerd subs will sound much better in a sealed oversized box than a correct dimension ported. 8)

Sealed boxes are the only way to go (especially if you dont have to much of an amp). Ported boxes let too much of the sound go to waste in the trunk airspace. Underpowerd subs will sound much better in a sealed oversized box than a correct dimension ported. 8)

Depends on the subs.. some subs sound like ass in a ported box others sound awsome. it depends on what the manuf. of the speaker designed it for.. Mine are not recomended in a ported box. so my sealed box and my amps which provide the exact RMS rating my speakers recomend sound awsome.

RedZ

A sealed box is the most inefficient (quietest) way to enclose a sub, but it is the tightest and most accurate (I prefer sealed for this reason). Ported boxes are louder and play lower, even with a less powerful amp, but they are less accurate and can be boomy. A bandpass is even louder, lower and looser than a ported box. Each time you go from sealed to ported to bandpass your box gets bigger, and some subs are not recommended for certain types of boxes.

My advice to anyone would be to pick an amp that is the recommended rms/continuous power for the sub, regardless of box type.

If you are putting multiple subs into a car be carefull of how you position them. ideally you want the subs facing the same direction at the same distance relative to the passengers (in other words, don't buy two boxes and place on behind the other in your trunk). this causes phase problems because the sound waves reach the listening position at different times (out of phase) and sound waves cancel each other out.

get a 15 and surround it with tens

I like that idea! 8) :twisted: better bust out the earplugs for this cruise!

And as for mycomments above they come from my previous experience with subs. Everytime I (or my friends) have taken a sub (built for sealed or ported) and replaced thier sealed box with a ported one the speaker has sounded like ass. The volume drop was hurrendous! However if you could get it to play louder (more juice) the bass will be deaper. Anyway when i took my Oz subs out of thier ported boxes and made custom sealed boxes for them they were instantly TWICE as loud. And that isnt BS either.

I just think ported boxes suck (but thats my opinion) :)

Proted boxes are supposed to be "tuned" to a certain frequency. This is done by adjusting the vol. of the box and the vol. that the port takes up. There are 2 waves that come off a sub, front and back. The ideas is to get the port so that at the right frequency the back wave is reflected and matches up with the front wave because of the "tuning" of the port (has to do with resonance...). Thats why they can be real loud for some bass and not so loud for the rest of the frequencies. Sometimes the waves are combining in phase to be loud and sometimes not.

Sealed boxes are good all around because you don't have to worry about all that stuff. The response will be more even (depending on the sub) across the bandwidth. Sealed box set ups are also more forgiving on box vol. because of this.

Bandpass is similar to ported.

The best way to pick subs is to listen to them. Sometimes this is hard to do if you can't find a sote that has what you want. It is also better to slightly overpower the subs than underpower it. Underpowering leads to distortion and who wants that.

I'd say go all out and see if you can fit one of those Audiobahn 34" bad boys in there. :shock: :lol: