I don't know what to do with the Cutlass

5speedz34

As most of you know I bought back my Cutlass at the beginning of October. I bought it knowing it had a rebuilt trans from Kevin, and a few other things. I started giving the car a tune-up and replaced the ICM and coils. I came to find out the harness was fubared and I've finally started to replace that.

Mind you this car has been pretty much sitting since October 1st. It has been pretty much a thorn in my side and a source of most of my parents bitching. I truly do like the car, but the body is shot. Right now it's torn down waiting for me to take the lower intake off. I'm just sick and tired of working on a car that doesn't run and or doesn't seem like it wants to run. As it sits right now, it probably won't be till after the first of the year that the car will be put back together.

All I want is a good daily driver that I'll like that is reliable, of course I don't have a problem replacing a few things here and there, thats not a problem. I'm really considering going out and seeing what I can do with a new car, I know there are alot of good deals out there.

The thing is I need money to do stuff to the lumina. Right now I really don't have many expenses other than my cars. So pretty much my money is free to go where I please(yes I know I'm privileged and I am humble for that.) I'm pulling down about 600-700 a month working 25-30 hours a week.

The thing is I don't want to be stuck with a monthly payment that won't allow me to do anything. Even a 10k Regal or GP will work, since I could probably get a car loan from my Credit Union.

So I need your guys advice on what I should do. My plan is right now finishing the Cutlass and see where that gets me, if that doesn't work, I'll just part it out and sell my plethora of other parts, in a frugal attempt to get money for a downpayment or something.

FWIW: The Cutlass needs this:

The harness to be put in

PS pump

New belt

Fuel injector O-rings

Intake gaskets (I have those)

Valve cover gaskets(I have those)

Ball joints

Tie rods

Rack(not sure)

Cradle bushings

Engine mounts

and other mis. stuff.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

You could buy a new Cutlass and probably be better off. Personally, with that kind of disposable income, I'd either build the most powerful Z34 on the planet, or get an '00 GTP.

Could you get more out of it by parting it out, or by finshing it and selling it? That would be the deciding factor if I were in your shoes.

P.S. If you want a reliable daily, my fully loaded CS is still here.

it has a new trans, doesn't need major engine work, and none of the suspension work needed surprises me because of the car's milage.

i would finish it. if i didn't need money so bad i wouldn't have sold it in the first place

over break we can get all taht done tony. The ball joints/tie rods with a pwr steering pump are not that bad, about one car payment for a newer car. Trust me it's a bitch havinga car that sits and having a new vehicle with payments. Just fix it and drive it till the body falls off. JMO I'm willing to help as well as others i know of. Later Jay

Ahhh, well it seems that between you, Jay, and I we could get that all taken care of over break. But I would have to agree with TeeJay, would it be better to just part out whats left of the good parts and cut your losses?

The thing is, you bought this as a winter beater, not because you have a great love for this car. I say spend what little money you have to to fix it, and make it a daily, or sell it off now. Hell, winter has been here for a while and you haven't even driven it yet! This brings me to the next observation:

What I don't understand, is with your situation, it seems that the truck is at your disposal. Why can't that be your daily driver, as it has been since you started driving? You know there won't be any issues with that (other than bumpers falling off :lol: ) and if there are your dad will take car of them at the dealer. That way, you can part out the Cutty and concentrate on the Z.

BTW, I respect that fact that you admit your inclome is completely disposable to your cars. That is something you have denied forever :oops: .

And don't take this as me saying, screw the Cutty, caus we all know I loved mine and think having an Intl' would be tits. but really, your Cutty is turning intoa money pit that won't take you from point A to B.

Drew

I'm in favor of fixing it. Some of you mention being able to do it over a break... I think that should be its' do or die. If two or three of you fight to get that thing to run, and have the knowhow and experience it shouldn't be any problem. IF You can't get it to go time to sell it. I've brought a several cars back from much worse, in a relativlely short amount of time, and I threw in my stories on the topic below. (and I want to take pics and post them asap btw)

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36540

You caan do eet! :D

BTW, I respect that fact that you admit your inclome is completely disposable to your cars. That is something you have denied forever :oops: .

Drew

WERD

But anyway, i don't think it's a money pit, hell it's 17 years old, it needs some odds and ends, still it'd be cheaper than getting a new car. Call me later tony . BTW i need that $80 asap

Take your time, fix it right, your gaining a PLETHORA of knowledge and experience (which you already have), when your done you'll be happy as shit, you'll know exatly what problems are if they arrise. Every W-body is a project car.

My parents nagged the shit outa me for taking up there garage and messing it up. Who cares :lol:

Think of it as home mechanic skool, or aprenticeship. Timeline is reasonable!

Buying a newer car would definitly be harder, and once it goes bad, you'll get that sinking feeling. WHY DIDNT I FIX THAT CUTTY!!

I'm just sick of fixing it and putting my money into it and not having any other money left over. So far everycheck has gone towards the fucking thing. And I really don't feel like putting money into a car that I plan on junking anyways. It's not that I can't work on it its more like I'm sick of working on it. If I got a new car, I don't know how much it would drain finicially. Hell if I could get a nice 92 or 93 SL or International I would do it.

Ohh drew about the truck, that's my sisters car for the most part and I get bitched at already for using it.

Meh, a trip to the Valenti residence wouldn't be complete without hearing some screaming / bitching!

It's the Italian way :lol: trust me I know all about it...

Meh, a trip to the Valenti residence wouldn't be complete without hearing some screaming / bitching!

Tony, remember that video ShockTherapy posted? Where the mom is nuts? That's a pretty good representation of mine.

Tony, remember that video ShockTherapy posted? Where the mom is nuts? That's a pretty good representation of mine.

yeah right!!!!! "TONY!" clean your room! I'can't believe i raised a child that is such a slob" HAHAHAH Word for word. Your not even that messy. Tony's reply "YEAH YEAH YEAH, do you guys have any cash?!" LMFAO

yeah right!!!!! "TONY!" clean your room! I'can't believe i raised a child that is such a slob" HAHAHAH Word for word. Your not even that messy. Tony's reply "YEAH YEAH YEAH, do you guys have any cash?!" LMFAO

You ass.