how can i clean my rear lamps that have yellowed?

BlueCutSupreme

my reverse lights are yellow and i'm gonna use some 3m rubbing compound to clean them up, however i can't seem to get them off the car, and when i do how do i separate the clear part form the housing?

btw, it's an 89 cutlass 2dr

my reverse lights are yellow and i'm gonna use some 3m rubbing compound to clean them up, however i can't seem to get them off the car, and when i do how do i separate the clear part form the housing?

btw, it's an 89 cutlass 2dr

If I remember correctly, you shouldn't be able to seperate the piece... either remove it from the car, or leave it on and buff it out there.

Also, for some other ideas on what to use to clear them out... check this:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3126&highlight=

- RedFox340

do a search at efi-street we were jsut talking about it. 3m rubbing compound on the head light and tail light lenses and the back up lights works wonders. Hope this helps Jay

what do u mean? It's the outer lense that gets scratched and dirty, why would u want to buff the inside lense? But if u want to just take it apart, it's not hard, it jsut has a little bit (LOTS) of gooey shyt holding it together and once thats off it'll come apart easily, then snap back together. Don't know why u want to buff the inside but there ya go. Jay

so it's not the inside that gets yellow form mildew maybe?

No, the sun bleaches the plastic from UV rays... don't know exactly the what's going on at the molecular level... but also as time passes by, plastic loses it flexing capabilities and the changing of color is the first obvious step of turning britle. Hope this helps!

- RedFox340

It's definitely outside.

Although on my reverse lights, dirt has actually found its way inside the reverse lights.

The reverse light lens can be removed, but it's held in by both snaps and butyl. It's difficult, if not impossible, to remove without either breaking it, or getting screwdriver pry marks all over it. I pulled one before off an old taillight from an '88, and it was TIGHT.